Thread: Video Thumbnails Disappeared/Not Showing Up

Video Thumbnails Disappeared/Not Showing Up

Sorry if am posting this query in wrong section. I have a Windows XP Home desktop with lots of videos saved in E drive. The problem is I used to get the thumbnails of all my videos earlier but don’t know what went wrong now, it is not showing up any video. I went to the folder, clicked on toolbar, click view then clicked on thumbnails but nothing happens.

I dint made any changes during this period. All happened itself. Any idea how can we fix it? Thank you very much for helps in advance.

Re: Video Thumbnails Disappeared/Not Showing Up

I’m not getting your problem properly. Are you not getting the thumbnails in folder or in Media Player library? If it is regarding WMP then simply open media player, click the small dropdown menu button just next to WMP search box and set it to Icon or Tile view, instead of Details view to get the thumbnails. And if it is about the folder then you can change it from Folder Options > View Tab.

Thanks for your reply Toby. Yes, I was talking about Windows Media Player itself. I tried clicking that small drop down icon but it is grayed out, unclickable.

Any other help please?

Man this is what he meant to fix the problem that he is having has nothing to do with media player........

To resolve the problem, type the following command in Start, Run dialog:

REGSVR32 SHMEDIA.DLL

Thumbnail images for videos should now generate correctly. If that does not help, inspect the file association settings.

I have a similar issue. My problem started when I installed a video converter.

When opening the program, a window appeared asking me if I wanted to use a certain application to view video thumbnails. I thought this was a program related to the video converter. I selected the “no, never use this” and also selected the “don’t ask me again” box. Well apparently this was a Windows application and now my WinXP Home (sp3) won’t generate any video thumbnails.

I have run the command line from the previous post and still nothing. I get the icons and in some video icons I get a black box where previously I had the video picure.

I was hoping you may have received this question before and you may be able to help me. Do you know what this application is called? Do you know how I can reset it?

Thanks a lot "" Fantazim68 ""

the command regsvr32 shmedia.dll worked !!!!