Thread: Windows Media Center "Extender Not Found" Message

Windows Media Center "Extender Not Found" Message

I am not able to connect Xbox on my pc. I am trying this for days but yet not able to work. I had forwarded a port to the Xbox so that it is not blocked by firewall or any antivirus. I also kept them disabled for a while. Later on I set everything on default settings but still it does not work. It looks my pc is not ready to recognize Xbox 360. I am using Windows Vista in my system. My friend is using a computer which has Windows XP and on that it is working well. There is no problem with the configuration. Does Xbox is not identified by Vista or there is a need of some special hardware to connect it properly.

Go to Windows Vista Network Sharing Center. In that are you able to see the shared file. Below there is a dedicated sharing option from where you can modify the settings and make it public. There are many threads available on web which discuss the same old things. I am not sure whether Windows Update has anything for that. You will need to connect it on a public network first. Second you can try to download some application from web which can allow you to configure the console on your system. It is not complicated but will need some time.

I faced the issue with Xbox long time before. It took me sometime but I was able to connect it properly. Somehow the internet is not working. But my files are shared. I cannot figure out why it is so complicated to add Xbox as a extender in media center system. I purchased a router and the added all the devices on it. It started working well and the devices are quiet visible. All settings were done by the router guy. I still do not remember what changes he made but looks to be handy.

Re: Windows Media Center "Extender Not Found" Message

I'm having the same issues... The 'extender could not be found'.... The error message indicates MacAfee Personal firewall, but much like fishkill84, I've disabled everything and still have not been able to get it to work.

However, I'm running Windows 7 64bit, internal trusted network utilizing ATT Uverse 2wire gateway/router. Xbox is wireless g, pc is ethernet hardwire.

Any help is appreciated.

im having the same issue with belkin router and linksys router any other ideas besides all given in this post so far, ive tried all of them so far

You have to take care of the thing that Extender and your system are into the same subnet.
    Also you have to open the following exception in the Firewall of the system.
    Program- svchost.exe
    Service- ssdpsrv
    Local port- UDP 1900
    Remote port- Random
    Direction- Inbound
    Network- Local subnet
    Needed for- Device discovery
    After that Open Media Center and try set up Extender again.