Thread: Windows Media Won't Recognize DVD/CD Burner

Windows Media Won't Recognize DVD/CD Burner

I am using Windows XP with Windows Media Player installed. I recently bought and installed a CD Burner and a combo DVD/CD Burner. Now Device manager and even iTunes is able to recognize my burner but Window Media Player cannot. I searched and tried various steps provided in various other discussion on this site but none of them worked. Can anyone please tell me some another working solution for this problem? Thank you very much.

RE: Windows Media Won't Recognize DVD/CD Burner

You can also try adding it manually in Windows Media Player itself. Just open WMP, click Options, Click Device and select Add. See if it works.

Thanks for your help shawntae. I followed that procedure but when I click on “Add”, it takes me to Window's Website on a page of devices such as MP3 players and all but there is no burner listed. Now what?

One more thing I would like to make you know that when I checked my burner properties, there is no Recording Tab. Does this matters?

I had this problem earlier on my system with Windows Media Player 11 (XP Home). After lots of useless struggle finally I downgraded WMP 11 to Version 10. Later opened Services applet and turned on ‘IMAPI CD Burning com service’ by putting it to Automatic. That’s it. Since then my burner was detected in WMP and was able to burn CDs without any problem. Try doing the same. I think the problem is with version 11 itself.

Windows Media Won't Recognize DVD/CD Burner

Did you find a resolution to your "connect a burner and restart the player" message? I'm having the same problem.