Thread: Extender Resource Monitor reports "System Resources Low"

Extender Resource Monitor reports "System Resources Low"

In my media center setup the extender resource monitor keeps on giving low system resource warning even when nothing is used. I am unable to find actual cause of the same. It was working fine but recently there is constant low resource message and I am unable to find the actual reason behind it. There is around 2GB memory and it looks more than enough. There is no apps running when the extender is working in pc but still the message keeps on appearing on the screen. Any idea on the same.

There can be some service in the media center which is causing the message. It is recommended that you disable the same and then ensure that you are getting maximum resources. The message can be triggered due to some internal services consuming a high amount of ram. Try to run media center update and then check once again. The update can offer some set of utilities which is capable of giving you a appropriate option to limit the usage. Also check the amount of virtual memory if any offered. That can offer a bit more boost in the performance.

There is no exact reason why this kind of message appears. If the resource monitor is showing you a warning on low system resource then there would be some service which is consuming ram over limit. You can try to check the settings and add some third party system monitor to figure out which app or service is causing the problem. You can also ignore the warning and continue with your work. It is also necessary that you provide a bit more detail on your issue. Some recent changes or updates applied to the extender which can generate that message.

Update Rollup 1 Works!

I am very late to the party here, responding to posts that are nearly 3 years old. I am running an HP Pavilion m7100e media center desktop w/ AMD Athlon 3500+ CPU, 1GB RAM, WinXP MCE 2005, and a single Linksys extender box WMCE54AG. Earlier today I upgraded this machine by adding two 1GB memory sticks (Kingston), bringing the total RAM to 3GB. Immediately upon restarting I got the "System Resources Low" pop-up from my Extender Resource Monitor applet in the system tray. I was baffled. The crazy thing showed 2.5GB of available RAM, yet was giving a red light for "low resources". Go figure. Like the others, I had no other programs running, no MCE connected and streaming, no load on the system at all. The CPU was showing something like 3% with virtually nil network and disk usage. As expected, CPU, disk, and network statuses were all "green" in the resource monitor status detail window, but although the available memory was 2.5GB, it showed "red" all the time. Argh! And when I would try to connect my Linksys, it would give me the scolding that resources were low, blah, blah, blah. But I connected anyway and everything worked fine, except for the annoying pop-up reminders every 5 minutes that "resources were low" and the stupid meter in my system tray always pegged on red.

I spent a good half a day with Linksys Help Desk, which was anything but... They insisted I either had a bad RAM module or that I should "call Microsoft". Yeah, right. "Hi, Redmond? I've got a small problem here. What's that? Oh, $50 per minute? Why haven't I upgraded to Vista? Would I like a discount of Office 2007?" Just what I need. More aggravation. So I googled the phrase "extender resource monitor" and found this gem of a thread that solved my problem. I should have learned by now that Google is my friend, and the device's toll-free line or chat facility for a "help" desk is not my friend. Ironic that Linksys didn't know about a std. rollup for their own product!

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

The above posts were very helpful. Frankly, I never would have solved the problem had I relied on Linksys. Also, I made the reasonable (but wrong) assumption that Update Rollup 2 for MCE 2005 would have included this fix and bundled everything in Rollup 1 with some new fixes (I had already installed Rollup 2 months ago). No, it can never be that simple. It was only when I installed Rollup 1 over the TOP of Rollup 2 that the problem went away. Anyway, maybe this post will save someone else the aggravation I went through today, logging 8+ hours trying to fix the issue. Incidentally, when trying to isolate the problem, I noticed that it did not occur with 1GB of RAM or 2GB RAM. It was only when I went to 3GB that the problem appeared, so it appears to be something that happens only when the user has more than 2GB of RAM installed. Anyway, that's my saga for the day. Hope someone else finds this helpful.