Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

why so many svchost.exe

MediaCenter

Old 07-05-2007

why so many svchost.exe

When I checked under Windows Task Manager for processes then I found out that there were 9 svchost.exe and 2 listed as Local Service and 2 listed as Network Service and 5 listed as System, its the only item in teh processes that has so many copies of itself. Can anyone tell me why there are so many of them? Thanks.

Old 08-05-2007

Re: why so many svchost.exe

I dont think that there is any problem having so many multiple instances of svchost.exe.exe running in your computer. You can check out the description of Svchost.exe in Windows XP from this link - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314056. Also you can download and install Process Explorer from microsoft. It will give you all the information that you want on the processes running under each instance of svchost.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sys...sExplorer.mspx
Old 08-05-2007

Re: why so many svchost.exe

I dont think that it is multiple copies of the same thing. It might be a host program for many different groups of services. It is easy to find out what is actually behind each svchost entity. So, on the task manager process tab and then right click on a svchost entry and click on go to servuces and then you will be taken to the services tab but you will see that a number services are highlighted.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > MediaCenter