Thread: Hauppauge IR Blaster Compatibility

Hauppauge IR Blaster Compatibility

I am running Windows Vista on my computer and I have bought a new Hauppauge HVR 1600 that works fine with its included application. It will also work fine with Media Center Edition with one issue. When I was setting up MCE to work with a satellite receiver then it says that the IR Blaster hardware is not found and not installed, something. But the Hauppauge remote works fine within MCE. Can anyone tell me whether MCE needs a specific IR blaster which is other than Hauppauge's? Do I need to setup a registry by going into its setting or something? Thanks for any help.

Re: Hauppauge IR Blaster Compatibility

I think that you need to have a Microsoft reference IR Receiver/Blaster and remote. Check the following from the Hauppauge's web site:

To use the WinTV-HVR-1600 for TV with the Windows Media Center application, a Media Center certified DVD or MPEG software decoder should be standard in your Media Center PC. If you are building a Media Center PC, check Microsoft's web site for a list of Media Center certified DVD decoders.
    Note: The enclosed remote control is not MCE certified and does not replace Media Center remote control.

You can buy the MCE compatible remotes or receivers from sites like newegg.

Re: Hauppauge IR Blaster Compatibility

Thanks for the response. Can you tell me whether there is a way to choose Video input source of the HVR-1600 within MCE that I am having with me? I want to capture an AV feed from a VCR and also from a satellite box. Thanks for the help.

guys im currently running windows vista ultimate 64 bit version and my Hauppauge wintv 500 is not working on it when i contact the techs they said ms is having probs with running tv tuners on 64 bits with 4g ram anyone know a way around this?? ( it will work with 3gb ram but if u restart ur comp the same thing happens again)