Thread: Media Center and Xbox 360 video streaming problems.

Media Center and Xbox 360 video streaming problems.

I want to use Xbox 360 as a media center extender and most of the files that I have is .avi video files. I have already tried to convert them to different file formats but nothing seems to br working since the xbox 360 is not able to read the files at all. I then used the Windows Movie Makr and tried to use it to convert some movie to WMV and it was successfully converted to WMV and although xbox 360 is able to read the file but it is only gicing black screen with no video or audio. Is there anyone who can tell me how to play this files on Xbox 360?

Re: Media Center and Xbox 360 video streaming problems.

You can use a software called Transcode 360. Transcode 360 enables the playback of unsupported video over Xbox 360 and Media Center Extender devices. This software is designed to run on Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. Transcode 360 is fully featured, providing a clear and efficient interface, tightly integrated with your Media Center PC to enable a much more seamless experience than other 3rd party solutions. Download it from here.

I have already installed the transcode 360 because media center is not able to read the files and when I try to transcode then it tells me that the video is unable to be qued? So I think that it could be occuring due to missing codecs software in my computer. So, how do I find and reinstall the missing codecs? Thanks

There is also a free application called GSpot that can be used to detect the required codecs for movie files. With GSpot you will find out that this is a utility that will analyze in detail for your video files (AVI, OGM, Ogg), in search of the codec used to create both the video codec as used in audio coding.

Download and install TVersity software that makes it possible to use all your media wherever you are and whatever the medium may be like PDA, PSP, mobile phone, etc. The application is able to convert files on the fly and supports streaming content. In your media library, you can list your audio, video and image, and also listen to your podcasts, RSS feeds, view your photos, etc.

You can also use the ffdshow software that can decode video format DivX (including Mpeg4 and Xvid) without requiring it to install a codec pack. This lightweight utility recognizes divx formats (3.4 and 5), XVid, MPEG 4 (v1, v2 and v3) and allows treatment (post-processing) videos to improve display. ffdshow is also able to resize video on the fly, to soften or strengthen.

The ffdshow worked pretty well in the end, thanks very much for the help.

I had the same problem and after doing the above I haev lost the ability to link my XBox and laptop's Media Centre AT ALL! I got rid of runtime 360 and FFdshow and rebooted everything - still no good. I ran a quick bit of maintenance - absolute uninstaller/CCLEANER/ disk defrag/regopt and rebooted and still it won't work. When I try to reconnect it says it can't see my PC's IP address..? Please help!