Thread: Vista Media Center Crash

Vista Media Center Crash

I had recently installed Windows Vista on my system. I thought it is a wise choice to upgrade my OS to get more benefits from it. But after installation when I try to launch Media Center it crashed. There was no error just a message on the screen that media center stopped working. I tried to start it again but the same thing happened. I am unable to find help on the same. I tried many settings but still Media Center is not working. I cannot view nor I can get any display. Any idea how can I fix the problem. Thanks.

You can find more information on the failure in Event Viewer. There is a log file available in that. The log file has detailed information on the error with description and associated file that has caused the crash. If you can paste that information here then it is much better. It is quiet necessary to get that info or else it will be complicated to deal with the issue. In your system either windows media center is corrupted or some associated application is causing the failure. You must try to re-install the same back from scratch and it must start working.

Windows Media Center on Vista is very buggy. Vista is not at all stable with Media Center and that is the reason it crashes. Compared to that it works quiet well on Windows XP and there is no bug at all. There are some set of software you need to add in your system before installing media center. Like appropriate codec pack so that media center can stream proper multimedia files and live tv. Also you need to run windows update. It is quiet necessary or else it is a complete waste of time.

Re: Vista Media Center Crash

I searched high and low for a resolution for this. IT turns out I had two problems. ONE: a very large HDTV AVI file in the Video Library folder (a Watched folder) AND some MP4 files. When I read the thread about the Thumbnails it occurred to me that my Media Center was displaying the AVI thumbnails but then would crash; it never got the MP4's. When I deleted the HDTV AVI file and Moved the MP4 files out of that watched folder the problem went away. I had also removed that folder from the Watched Folder list which also gave me a clue. THANKS for that Thumbnail CLUE!!!!