Thread: playing DVDs in Windows Media Center

playing DVDs in Windows Media Center

I have a Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2 desktop at home. Most of the times I use Media Center for playing Movies DVD. So far I have watched more than 100 movies on this computer from DVDs only. Yesterday I bought a new movie dvd, inserted it in my computer and when clicked "play DVD" as always in Media Center, I got a message saying “cannot play DVD.” I tried several times but the same error came up.

I thought the DVD itself would be faulty because I have been playing DVDs on this computer without any problems. So I tried other DVDs which were playing good earlier and surprisingly I got the same error. So, the DVD is not faulty, problem is with my computer or media center itself.

The only change I done in this period is removed few video games and turbo tax to free up some space on my HDD. Could that be the cause of problem? Have I deleted something which was required to play DVDs on Media Center?

RE: playing DVDs in Windows Media Center

I have a personally experience of very similar problem but with Windows Media Player. Earlier all DVDs were working fine but stopped suddenly. Whenever I try to play a DVD, it use to say “Windows Media Player cannot play this DVD because there is a problem with digital copy protection between your DVD drive, decoder, and video card. Try installing an updated driver for your video card.” Well I followed the suggestion, updated all system drivers and also installed recent patches from Windows update. That fixed my problem. So you can try doing the same.

Apart from this, while searching on Google regarding your problem related to Media Center, I found few guys saying that if you change your system clock to before "Dec. 1, 2006", your DVD's will play again. I don’t know whether it will work but changing time settings is not a big deal. You should give it a try, right?

RE: playing DVDs in Windows Media Center

You are correct DesTiny!. I had this problem once with Media Center when I was not able to run any DVD in MC all of a sudden. Changing the date to something before Dec 1, 2006 has worked for me. In order to change the settings, just right click date/time box at bottom of screen, goto Adjust time/date.

Re: playing DVDs in Windows Media Center

That’s surprising, guys. It helped you but when I change / adjust the time/date didn't do anything for me. Any other ideas please?