Thread: Fix error "The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context"

Fix error "The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context"

I had assembled a new pc. I had installed Windows XP on it. Later on when the setup was done I was going to activate Windows. When I try to connect the same through Internet Explorer I am getting a error saying that The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context. I am getting the same error on all microsoft services. It is a new pc and this kind of issue must not arrive. I had then used windows update and installed all the fresh updates. But still the problem is same.

Is there any antivirus or set of security application installed in your system. A antivirus is causing the problem. It is blocking your traffic and due to which you are getting the error. It is recommended that you must perform a clean installation of XP one more time and then check back whether it is working or not. Even if you found a way to stop the error the problem can reappear in future. So performing a clean installation is much better option. First install windows and then activate it instantly. Later on go with all software setup you want in your system.

Before installing entire Windows XP back from scratch it is recommended that you re-install your web browser. The problem lies with the web browser I think. And if re-installing of web browser fixes the job then there is nothing to much worry about the same. You can try using some other web browser also. There are ample of browser available on the web. You can test the activation in different one. The second way is to disable antivirus services and then check back.

Hi all, just had the same problem. Have found a solution that will work on any system. Using a usb stick and another computer, find your IE version, click download, save to your USB, then simply pop the usb stick into your affected computer locate that IE download folder, double click and follow all instructions. Reboot and you may need to finish set-up. Done and you can now search any site and open any links and pages.

I had the same problem after my system downloaded and installed IE8. I restarted the computer and it didn't do it again. Just a thought.

The feedback provided by Agri works like a charm. Thanks.

re: Fix error "The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context"

I was working on a customer's PC and I had never run across this before. I used your suggestion and I am back in control!!

re: Fix error "The requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context"

I got this after installing Microsoft Security Essentials, you'd think they are smarter about their own programs.. :shakes head:

I am not sure but I got this fixed by re-install Internet Explorer. I really do not understand how this issue is related to the browser. While searching on Microsoft forums I found a answer where a user stated to re-install Internet Explorer 7. The same I am using. Later on to restore certain system file I used sfc /scannow command in cmd and inserted Windows installation disc. It copied certain files and replaced them. After a reboot all things are well.

I do not think you will need to re-install Internet Explorer 7 to fix that issue. The best thing is to update your existing browser. Just upgrade and then check back. The issue is related to Internet Explorer only. Upgrading the same will fix the problem. I think the most newest version right now is Internet Explorer 9. There is no update after that. Try that one and check. You can start with Internet Explorer 8 setup and the 9 to avoid any compatibility issue with old websites.