Thread: Automated System Recovery (ASR) NO floppy disk

Automated System Recovery (ASR) NO floppy disk

Is there anyone who can tell me a way to create the Recovery Disk for Media Center Edition 2005? I dont have any floppy drive installed on my Dell computer. And I just want to burn all the recovery information to a CD/DVD if it is possible. Thanks for any help.

I dont think that you will be able to do that because its hard coded to look for a floppy drive. So you will need to format the floppy disc before using it.

Re: Automated System Recovery (ASR) NO floppy disk

Did you try installing a USB floppy drive? It wont come at heavy price. Even I was facing this same problem where my HP computer was not having a floppy drive and I needed to create the ASR disk. So, therefore I purchased Sony USB floppy drive and set my bios to enable its support and then created the ASR disk without any issues.

I'm trying to do the exact same thing. I have XP Media Center Edition and yesterday I backed up my entire hard drive using XP's back up. When it got to the end of the backup, it automatically recognized I had no floppy drive in my computer.

I tried a second time to get it to recognize a 2nd usb external drive, but it did not. I suspect that since your coming in through the USB port, even with an external USB floppy, the system won't recognize it in order to make the floppy disk. Has anyone been able to do this?

My alternate plan in the meantime would be that if I needed to do a full drive restore, what I could do is put in the system recovery disk and reformat to out of the box state and THEN restore my drive from the external drive where I've backed up my hard drive? Does that sound logical?

I tried using an external USB floppy and my system recognized it was a floppy, but when it got to the point where its suppose to create the floppy at the end of the recovery process. It gave me an error message when I tried to get it to create the floppy. So even with an external floppy drive, I could not create the floppy.

My own choice would be to instal a fresh copy of Windows and then run restore using that. I've found many first-hand claims online that this works.

Alternatively, you can try using freeware software called "virtual floppy", or try burning an image of the ASR floppy to CD (fooling windows into thinking you've got floppy).