Thread: long delay with double click and right click when opening a file

long delay with double click and right click when opening a file

I got a problem with double click to open file and right click to bring the files context menu? It usually takes too much of seconds to open them. It will not happen with the folders but just the files. Somebody told me to use shellexview to check all the handlers and try to disable them few times to see which one is having the problem? So, I used it and tried to disable different handlers to check if the issue is fixed, but that was not working. So, can anyone tell me how to solve this problem?

Long Delay Fix

I have checked that if you have a mapped drive to an unavailable drive or dead link, office apps will start to open after a long delay. So, you can try to disconnect the link and then retry again and see if that fixes the problem or not.

Anyone have an answer?

Even I am having 15 second delay after double clicking on Word or Excel file in Windows Explorer prior to the Office app start to open the file? The same problem does not happen on Powerpoint, Acrobat reader or images by non-office apps, etc. I also dont have any network shared mapped as drive letters. Please help me.
    Last edited by zippy114; 16-02-2009 at 03:35 AM.

Re: long delay with double click and right click when opening a file o

Can you check whether the files you are trying to open is very large? Are the application files and the data files on a Hard drive in your system? How much Ram do you have? Also, how much virtual memory do you have assigned? Is your disk been defragged recently?

Re: long delay with double click and right click when opening a file o

First of all it happens with files of all sizes and yes the there are on my local hard drive, apps in one partiton and data files on the other. I have got 2gb ram with Windows XP operating system running on this pc. I dont have any idea about the Virtual Memory, it might be system default. Also, there seems to be a timeout in the doc file type handler somewhere?

Re: long delay with double click and right click when opening a file

When you open the application first and then open a file from it then does the same issue occur?