Thread: "Decoder In Use" error when recording or watching live TV

"Decoder In Use" error when recording or watching live TV

In my system everything looks to be working fine. But there is some problem with video recording. I am having a TV Tuner card in my system. Before the video streaming was fine. But recently I was not aware what changes occurred and cause this problem. When I try to record shows it gives me error that decoder in use. It gives everytime when I try to start a recorder and not it is very complicated to get right solution for the same. I had verified my system. There were all decoders installed in the Media Center Edition. Till yet there is no error message.

Do this. Try to re-install WinDVD Decoder in your system. Also if you are getting error then ensure that windows media player and any associated service is completely turned off. Some application in the background is causing the service to block streaming. There can be some fresh updates which are installed. Check that and remove them if required. Majority of issue that appeared on Windows Media Center is due to windows update. There are some set of incompatible files which does not really work well.

I was getting the same issue. I tried to troubleshoot it through various mode. At the end I found that the problem is due to microsoft .net framework. You will need to install this in your system. You can do that manually or by using Windows Update. Dot net is available on web for free download and it does not take much time to configure also.

Re: "Decoder In Use" error when recording or watching live TV

I had a simular problem when power went out in the middle of the night and I ended up with several issues. I recieved the same error message," decoder in use by another application, and I read somewhere by removing Roll-Up 2 Pack in your add and remove prodrams, it would take care of this issue. Well, IT DID FOR ME. Go into your add and remove programs and remove that rollup 2 pack for windows media center 2005, it will ask you if you are sure because several applications may not work and hit yes. It worked for me and now I am back to watching and recording tv. One more thing , you may have to go to your guide and hit redownload your guide.
    I have not seen any problems since then.