Thread: Disabling WDS (Windows Desktop Search) ??

Disabling WDS (Windows Desktop Search) ??

I want to get rid of windows desktop search from my Media Center PC permanently because it is creating many problems for me eating up 100% of CPU resources. I don’t know how it got installed on my computer, I guess it would have come when I changed from Outlook Express to Outlook. I found some articles on Microsoft sites with the steps to remove the same but due to some reason they are not working for me. Can anyone please tell me the removal steps please?

I disabled it on my Vista computer successfully by disabling its service. I just went to Start > RUN. Entered ‘services.msc’. Under Services applet, disabled Windows Search service and it was gone. You should try out the same I think it should work in XP as well. And yeah, Windows Search gets installed with Office 2007 itself.

Re: Disabling WDS (Windows Desktop Search) ??

Thanks for your help jean, but I already did that. I disabled it from Services but still everytime I open Outlook 2007 and check Indexing Options, it brings up MS Outlook and re-indexes windows search.

Any other please?

Re: Disabling WDS (Windows Desktop Search) ??

I tried looking up the indexing service in Manage but it already appears as disabled. Yet, Windows Desktop Search keeps running and wasting resources. However, nothing was listed under Services with the name of Windows Desktop Search, only Indexing Service.