Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

How do you Format a RAW USB Flash Drive under WinXP

MediaCenter

Old 27-11-2004

How do you Format a RAW USB Flash Drive under WinXP

Recently I formatted and re-installed my Windows XP computer. Before starting the installation I was using my 128Mb USB Flash Drive with this system which was left connected during the XP installation. During the process I mistakenly deleted all partitions seen in WinXP partition manager which included the flash drive as well. Now the problem is that drives appear as RAW and WinXP cannot format it. I tried using FDISK but seems like it wont work with XP.

Finally I tried to format it with DOS but it ends up saying “Cannot determine the number of sectors on this volume.” Now what I want to know is what is the number of Tracks and Sectors of my Flash drive, how can I find it out? Also is there any other way I can format my Flash Drive? Thanks for all your helps.

Old 27-11-2004

Surprisingly even I’m facing exactly the same problem. When I try to format my USB Drive in windows explorer by right clicking and selected format, it says “Windows was unable to complete the format.” My system actually recognizes it as FAT partition with unknown capacity. And when I try doing the same in DOS, it is recognized as RAW partition. Is there any tool like FDisk for Windows XP for formatting usb drives?
Old 29-11-2004

Just try searching Google with term boot disk utilities. You will find many which will help you to format your usb sticks.
Old 10-07-2009

WOW!!! WOW!!!! I would like to Thank you Cheryl Wise this has really really helped me out alot to fix this problem i was having with my Pearl Drive Your Suggestion using the component management fixed the drive after i added a partion and formated the drive.

ManyMany Thanks for this program worked a treat with my 4gb sony drive i accidently killed when adding windows xp to my laptop
Old 15-06-2011

Solution!

thought i would post a solution here that i found.
1.go to the start menu
2.right click "My Computer"
3.click manage
4.click "Disk Management"
5.add a simple partition to the flash drive
6.if you receive an error but the partition stays. format the drive as you usualy would

problem solved!
Old 09-11-2011

Re: How do you Format a RAW USB Flash Drive under WinXP

Thanks Sadistic Angel. Tried everything else. This fixed it.
You're a Hero.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > MediaCenter
Tags: , , , ,