Thread: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1290 (Model 85xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM, SW Encode)

I purchased a new custom-built PC from HP in December. It came with a Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1290 (Model 85xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM, SW Encode) for my TV tuner. Previously, I had another PC with another TV tuner but I have no idea of the name or model. Since I have had my PC, I am unable to receive a clear picture on channels 96, 2,3,4,5 or 6 and of course it records the same way. HP had me update the Nvidia GeForce drivers that fixed it for a week.

They had me do a destructive recovery, it worked for about 3-4 days and now, they do not have an answer on how to make it work on a regular basis. I am using the same cable company, the same cable and have tested it with an actual TV and it works great but better proof that it is not my cable; I used it with my old PC for 3+ years without a problem. Have you ever heard this problem, do you have a solution? Could it be a Vista conflict, any suggestions? Thank you.

Re: Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1290 (Model 85xxx, Combo ATSC/QAM, SW Encode)

As far as I know 1950is a hybrid tuner not a true combo tuner and hence there is no way using both tuners cannot at the same time because Media Center is not capable of configuring both tuners on a hybrid tuner card at the same time. Hence you should try configuring either OTA analogue or OTA digital while connecting an Antenna to you card.

Unfortunately, the tuner was installed when I bought it from HP. It did not come with other software other than MC. I have Nero 9 but Nero told me that they don't support this TV Tuner.

What are your hardware specs?
    Information needed on Graphic card,CPU and RAM.

You can get the Hauppauge WintTV software for free at the Hauppauge Website

To All, Thank you for your help. I think we identified the problem. The problem appears to be a bad coax cable. I used the same coax cable and attached it to a laptop with an external TV Tuner. The same stations did not work, go figure. I changed the coax and it works again. I hope that the fix is permanent. Thanks again, Alan.

[QUOTE=S.Sengupta;4218200]What are your hardware specs?
    Information needed on Graphic card,CPU and RAM.

I purchased thesameHP desktop with thesametuner andhave the same problem. Plus 2 more thing. 1)When I first go into MC to view TV, I get a "No Signal Found" message. But if I change channels, the picture will appear. 2) I would like to copy some old VHS tapes, using my older VCR The HP has jacks in the front and on the tuner card, but I can't figure out how to capture the signal. Does any one help me with these issues?

oddly, my problem just disappeared. I can't explain it. As for transfering tapes to DVD, I was not even aware that this was possible. Let me know if you find anything out about it. Thanks.