Thread: Record using Freecom DVB-T (ART 25452) on Windows 7

Record using Freecom DVB-T (ART 25452) on Windows 7

I just want to share my recording experience with Windows 7 and Freecom DVB-T device. My system specs are as follows:
    • Toshiba Portege M100 Laptop
    • Intel Pentium M 1.2GHz
    • 1.75GB RAM
    • Windows 7 Ultimate RTM
    • ProgDVB installed

I have installed all necessary/updated drivers in my laptop. The Media center is able to recognize the device fine and scanned all the necessary channels. It got most of the channels from my area but when viewing, it shows me an error “files needed to display video are missing..." I am pretty sure that there is no problem with the decoders. So I think that the problem is with the intel 82855 driver that isn't compatible.

After this error, I have installed ProgDVB and loaded up. I chose DVB-T as a "Generic BDA Device" instead of "Microsoft BDA Compatible". Now everything is working fine. Now I can even record and can make a live stream.

Re: Record using Freecom DVB-T (ART 25452) on Windows 7

I have also used the Freecom DVB-T using ProgDVB. It works fine. But the channel changing is not pretty fast, but I think it's a general problem of the digital. The analog signal decays with a long duck antenna and is very usable if you are not near a window, or better, you only receive the strongest signals by reducing the number of stations. The remote is IR and then the stylus must be positioned on the front USB ports because the remote has to "see" the IR receiver that is integrated in the USB stick. I have no trouble using the remote but I never felt at distances greater than 2 meters.

I want to share my DVB-T install process on Windows 7 x64. First of all connect the Freecom DVB-T in the USB port and wait for a few second so that Windows 7 can load various drivers. Once completed, go the Device Manager to find the "Unknown Device", right click on it and choose "Update Driver". If you have already had drivers downloaded, select the path and install those manually. After the completion, go to the Windows Media Centre & configure TV. Make sure that WMC detects the device.

I have heard that, now Freecom Digital USB & Cardbus released latest version of DVB-T driver (Windows Vista 32 & 64 bit) that are now available under Support - > DVB-T -> Drivers.
    These are only suitable for the digital DVB-T USB Sticks & Cardbus, not for the hybrid drive.

In order for a TV card or a TV stick to function with the Media Center, the manufacturer must provide a BDA driver. Right now there is no BDA driver available; the TV stick works only with the TV software from the manufacturer. Hauppauge offers individual drivers for the stick on its homepage, but unfortunately there is nothing wrong about BDA drivers. You can try those driver, but I do not think it works with it.

You need to use USB extension adapter for coax to mini-antenna connector (I think this is a MMCX), a rod antenna with magnetic base and short installation, driver and software CD. The software and driver installation was without complications on a Windows XP SP2. The application runs as far as satisfactory and stable. Recording timer is also very good. The MPG file is stored in DVD-compliant and can be played on standalone players. EPG and Teletext are possible, but sadly not implemented satisfactorily. The reception (about 40 km) is okay. I have found 29 stations.

I am also using this stick and it is now working fine with Windows 7 Media Center. Unfortunately, the stick cannot operate with third-party applications. I have tried many programs: DScaler, VideoLAN, MediaPortal, WebScheduler, etc. Unfortunately, all these programs put in BDA driver. Even with instructions in various forums it did not work. Support from Freecom has promised many times that it will soon release BDA drivers.

I live in a good area and therefore have no problems with DVB-T reception. I use only a small indoor antenna and with the stick that I am using, I can receive 20 programs with crystal clear view. I am using a Linux and therefore I had little trouble with installing this USB stick, but the Linux driver works great. The price-performance ratio is definitely OK.