Thread: Windows 7 Media center very slow

Windows 7 Media center very slow

I did two weeks ago change my MCE to Windows 7. Since then I have problems with the performance. Live TV as jerky and over again, one might almost say already that it shakes all the time. There are days when things are going well, but most of the time still stutters on live TV. If one looks for two hours long, then everything is slow. You can press the green MCE button on the remote and it only happens after about five seconds more. Live TV via Linksys extender in the bedroom is not as good as possible at first I thought of a network problem, but that is surely not in my opinion be, because the MCE itself is slow. Is about my HTPC hardware configuration too slow or too old for Windows 7? Thank you for some feedback.

Re: Windows 7 Media center very slow

I think that your hardware is not on the last level, especially the graphics. It is questionable whether these videos at all hardware accelerated. Otherwise, I had even considered as the CPU utilization, and whether other processes may run in the background. Even with a single CPU or so, "Prescott-heating" is certainly not the latest Windows 7. And the drive is no longer up-to-date! If the shift does not play along with, there is still a problem!

I have decided on the basis of your answers to revise my system. All I can only the Silverstone case, the new silent power supply and the DVD player can be made. I have picked out the following new components:
    - Motherboard: Intel DH55HC / Cost: approximately CHF 130
    - CPU: Intel Core i5 650 (3200) Dual Core / Cost: approximately CHF 195
    - RAM: Kingston DDR3 2x2GB PC3-10666 / costs about CHF 50
    - HDD: HDD 7K1000.C 1TB SATA
    - CPU cooler from Scythe Ninja expected / costing about approximately CHF 45

If the CPU memory controller can control DDR3/1333, you should also take 1333er RAM to take full advantage of the system when operating the CPU reaches a maximum DDR3/1066 can also, if it is cheaper than the price, because by the BIOS, the RAM usually correct. In current AMD and Intel CPUs memory controller "sits" in the CPU, not the chipset and determines the memory clock, not the Board. I would always offer the CPU however RAM, for which it is optimized and harmful at a 1066er 1333er RAM CPU anything. A "Non Tower Cooler (Top Blow) blows the air towards board and cool the voltage regulator, the RAMs, the North-bridge (chipset) and the graphics card back of better than a tower cooler.

Hitachi has a few years, the hard production of IBM and taken over the desktop (for normal PC imaginary) hard drives were too loud, were very warm and have long thought not. This bad reputation, Hitachi (still) cannot refute. For commercial hard drives, it looks a little better for Hitachi (IBM), but these plates are unfortunately not suitable for a HTPC (still too loud and too hot but very reliable).