Thread: decoder error in media center 2005 on windows xp

decoder error in media center 2005 on windows xp

This is a Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005. I’m trying to setup live tv since past 2 days with Media Center but haven’t got it done yet. Every time I get an error message saying:

“Decoder error the video decoder has either malfunctioned or is not installed. Please restart media center and/or/ the computer.”

Do anyone of you know what am I doing wrong? Is there any permanent problem with my system? Do I need to re-install Media Center again?

RE: decoder error in media center 2005 on windows xp

Hey, even I’m struggling with similar issues in setting up TV with Media Center. In my case I keep getting “ehExthost.exe - Application has generated an exception that could not be handled. Process ID = 0x9e8 (2536) Thread ID = oxc58 (3160).” I don’t think it is any hardware problem because when I ran PC doctor, it didn’t found any errors. I strongly suspect some registry or software conflict. Do anyone have any idea regarding this?

Re: decoder error in media center 2005 on windows xp

Okies, i solved the problem of decoder error issues on my Windows Media Center 2005 Edition using Windows Media Player 11.

Solution i used: Yes make sure that you have a MPEG2 decoder thats compatible with WMP11/MCE such as PowerDVD2.0 etc .............see http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...r/plugins.aspx
    for the to buy about $15 or you may have one on another software package.
    You need to the decscheck thingo, to check the video decoder is installed and compatible with WMP11/MCE
    This is here : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

Forget if other decoders are installed but not compatible with MCE, they might be used for Nero programs etc.

OKIES, now uninstall any CODEC packs you have installed previously such as K-lite, XP Codec pack, etc. Install the http://www.cccp-project.net/ Community Codec package.......it asked me to remove the Ogg 'something' that it knows causes issues, so i said yes?

Anyway, now my recorded HD recorded MCE tv replays without a hiccup.

Trust Microsoft to make it so damn difficult.....Nero Showtime has never had any problems replaying the HD or other recorded TV content in the dvr-ms (MPEG) format.

Re: decoder error in media center 2005 on windows xp

ps: forget about uninstalling Windows Media Player 11 and reinstalling it.....did nothing for me either....it doesnt address the issue of conflicting codecs/decoders.