Thread: Connecting HDMI out from laptop to receiver. Video good but no sound

Connecting HDMI out from laptop to receiver. Video good but no sound

I have a Gateway laptop and I play video on my Toshiba LCD. Eveything was working fine, and I have been putting out video and sound directly to the TV with no issues with the help of HDMI cable. Today I started facing some problem, I bought a new Yamaha X-V463 receiver that has 2 HDMI in and 1 out, and I can see the video passing through the receiver to the TV but am not able to get the sound except via the laptop speakers. When I switch the receiver to my HDMI DVD player then I get video and sound. So, is there anyone who can tell me what is wrong here? Thanks in advance.

RE: Connecting HDMI out from laptop to receiver. Video good but no so

It seems to me that the receiver that you are using is not able to detect the correct sound format, LPCM, DTS. You need to find out the format that the laptop is outputting and then check if you can set the receiver to match the same. Alternately, you could also try to change the laptop's output format if the sound card/driver support multiple codecs.

Re: Connecting HDMI out from laptop to receiver. Video good but no sound

Did you check that whether the HDMI audio is enabled on your pc or not? I knew about this one from my computers and I used to tell it which audio to enable and disable the rest of the options.