Thread: Recording from my Comcast SEt Top Box to an external hard drive

Recording from my Comcast SEt Top Box to an external hard drive

I have got a new comcast digital HD set top box and am new to recording the programs from it. I have got a HP computer that is running Windows Media Center and it also has an ethernet port on both my computer and set top box. I am using HDMI cables to connect to the Set Top Box to my HD TV and there is a usb port on same and computer as well. I dont want to buy another hardware like TIVO to do this simple recording. I have got the original Tv tuner for my computer which was connected to another Comcast cable in a different room, but not via a STB, so therefore I had 99 channel choices and not higher channels than that. It was told to me that I can do this but I dont know how to record off from comcast from my HD TV screen. By mistake I hit the record button and it told me that it was recording the program but I dont have any idea where it was doing without me having DVR attached in the system. So, I dont thing that anything is getting recorded since there is no hard drive in the Set Top Box? Any ideas?

re: Recording from my Comcast SEt Top Box to an external hard drive

It might be possible that you may have a DVR Set Top Box. Could you please let us know what is the make or model of the Set Top box you are having with you?

Re: Recording from my Comcast SEt Top Box to an external hard driv

I have got a Motorola DCH 3200 that was given from Comcast from their new items and it has several HDMI pors and USB ports, S-Video and Optical audio and component. I guess that I didnt realize that Comcast gives away a DVR at all? Since I am new to this, can you tell me what to do? Thanks for the reply.

Re: Recording from my Comcast SEt Top Box to an external hard driv

I dont think that the box is a PVR one, so the record option might mean that the box is supplying outpur over a Firewire connection. I assume that you will need a dual tuner Set Top Box, incase oyu want to watch live program and at the same time record another one. You should get the Comcast PVR box to satisfy the same capability if you want it.