Thread: Parameter is incorrect

Parameter is incorrect

Using Windows Media Player 11 with Windows Vista Basic. I have few non-DRM (unprotected) MP3 files saved on my PC and Windows Media Library. When I try to open them from library, I get an error message stating “Parameter is incorrect.” And when I double click them in windows explorer, nothing happens though WMP is set to default for .mp3.

Any idea?

Re: Parameter is incorrect

Is this problem with only MP3 files or all other files? Are you able to play WAV files on your system?

Meanwhile, as a workaround you should perform System Restore to some working restore point and see if it works.

Glad I found this thread.... I have been having the exact same problem for a couple months. Didn't bother me too much until I realized that my PS3 can no longer access WMP11 as a Media Server.

Also, it is odd that WMP11 does not exist on the Start/Programs path or in the registry (as far as I can tell) or in the unistall program utility. One thing I did that may have affected WMP11: I manually moved some photos around in the folder structure found at the user/pictures path.

Thanks for any help.

Thanks for the reply, zachd. Here's the situation:
    When I double-click any WMP11 associated file (.wma,.mp3,.wmv) nothing happens unless WMP11 is already open. If I right click the file and 'open with-WMP', I get a message 'The parameter is incorrect.' I can, however, right click on the file and 'open with -internet explorer' and it flashes IE and WMP then starts.

Also, my PS3 is no longer finding the media server on WMP11 and I think it is related.Running Vista32. I saw your WMP site at zachd.com/pss/pss.html and tried most of the stuff you have posted there. Thanks for the help.