Thread: WMP 11 writes CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb without id tags

WMP 11 writes CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb without id tags

I have got 3 identical Windows XP machine with same builds and Service Pack 2 installed on each. On the 2 Windows XP machine, WMP 11 works properly. But on the third one, when a mp3 is dragged into the player then it will show the tag information and the entry in the library is missing the tag information like - song, album, artist, etc. Can anyone tell me how do I solve this problem?

Re: WMP 11 writes CurrentDatabase_360.wmdb without id tags

There is an easy fix to this, actually Mcafee Host Intrusion Protection has a rule against the Wmp 11 executable so you can try to turn off the protection but not incase if you dont have the rights. What happens is that an MP3 ID Tag has the possibility of containing anything including other mp3 or an .exe file with a virus that can be passed via the MP3 id tags. So that is why Mcafee could block WMP 11 from seeing the tags on a mp3 or wma but still wmp will be able to play the mp3.

Thank you for the solution, but adding more to this for those who dont have enough rights to suppress the rule from the antivirus against Windows Media Player then they can follow this small trick to bypass the rule, simply copy paste the wmplayer.exe file in C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\ and name it as what ever you want and then launch the renamed WMP .exe file and thus the tags would become readable now. However, you need to note that this workaround will not add the tags from the files that are already present in the database and also rescanning do no add the tags.

THANKYOU!!!!

i was facing the exact same problem on my pro laptop. whenever i would add songs into the wmp 11 library the songs would not show all the tag information that was existing and trying to add them via the file properties wont allow it and would show "a disk error occurred during a write operation" message. I thought that wmp11 was destrying the info but when i saw that the windows file properties method wont even show me hlaf of the standard tags for a mp3 i got suspicious. After searching again and finding your post finally helped. On my pro laptop i did not have much options of messing around on ,,,, what with all them policies and anti-virus.....and now that i saw this post, tried the workaround for McAfee....it's gone!

Couldn't have imagined it was such a simple workaround that of a copy and paste

i hope this post helps others like me who do want some music on their pro laptops while at work....

Thank you so much for your comments.
    I had exactly the same Windows Media Player problem. I invested few days to look for a solution. McAfee caused this issue. I don't have enough rights to suppress the rule from McAfee against Windows Media Player, therefore I used your trick to sidestep this rule. I renamed "wmplayer.exe" and it solved the problem.

Thank you !