Thread: wmpnetwk.exe and wmplayer.exe hogging resources

wmpnetwk.exe and wmplayer.exe hogging resources

This is Windows XP SP2 with Windows Media Player 11 installed. I have enabled Media Sharing so that I can access my PC media on Xbox 360 as well. Now the problem am facing is since last few days I noticed that wmpnetwk.exe wmplayer.exe are eating up 100% resources according to Task manager. I tried searching help on web forums and found many people with this issue and the only solution provided is to disable Media Sharing.

To me, this solution doesn’t seem correct because I have never seen any documentation or any Microsoft guy who has said that this could be the source of the issue. And second, I don’t want to disable Media Sharing as I need it.

So is there anyone here, well experienced, who can tell me any working solution? Many thanks for your helps.

RE: wmpnetwk.exe and wmplayer.exe hogging resources

Even I don’t think Media Sharing could be the source of this problem. Anyway, I did some research and found a temporary fix. If you are interested you can give it a try. What you need to do is roll back to Windows Media Player 10 as well as install Windows Media Connect 2. You can get download link from Google. Don’t worry, media connect will act as bundled sharing in WMP11 and WMP10 has virtually the same functionality.

Once doen, enable media sharing and all other settings. Hopefully you wont be getting high CPU usage as before.

RE: wmpnetwk.exe and wmplayer.exe hogging resources

Even I started getting this problem since I installed WMP 11 on my XP Sp2. Never had such problem since years on version 10.

Did anybody got it fixed permanently?

Found the solution for this one. It's a bad AVI file. I can't tell you the right way to find out which file is NFG...

Apparently Media Player reads all the files and if you've got a corrupt AVI, it cannot get whatever data it needs off the end of the file.

I used the VLC player to peruse all my video and it flagged an AVI as corrupt.... Just deleted it and all was good.

Re: wmpnetwk.exe and wmplayer.exe hogging resources

Quote Originally Posted by Ethanol View Post
    Found the solution for this one. It's a bad AVI file. I can't tell you the right way to find out which file is NFG...

Apparently Media Player reads all the files and if you've got a corrupt AVI, it cannot get whatever data it needs off the end of the file.

I used the VLC player to peruse all my video and it flagged an AVI as corrupt.... Just deleted it and all was good.
    Thank for the tip, i can confirm this works.

I am running XP SP3 and WMP10, i had started having problems with wmplayer.exe hogging the CPU when i was monitoring folders. I had about 56K mp3 files and i tried to fix this slow PC by deleting the WMP Database and letting it rebuild it. It took almost 3 days to pull in the 56K files and still it would use 99% cpu when wmplayer was running.

After reading this thread i remember that a few week ago i got one album that was not mp3. It was m4a. I searched for that album and moved it out the the monitored folder and voila! no more hogging the CPU.

Great job.

Rainey