Thread: Windows Media Player 11 Lost Library & Media sharing

Windows Media Player 11 Lost Library & Media sharing

This is Windows Vista running with Windows Media Player 11. Suddenly don’t know what went wrong with this system, I lost my entire library. Searching on web suggested me to delete and rebuild library. I tried out doing it but no help. Even re-installing Windows Media Player is not able to bring back the library.

That’s not all. One more problem I started getting is whenever I try to turn on Media Sharing after rebuilding attempt and re-installation, I get an error message saying:

“Media sharing has been turned off because a required Windows setting or component has changed. For additional assistance, click Web Help.”

Do anyone here have experienced this before? Any idea how can I fix this all? Thank you.

Yes that is applicable when you upgrade. Your old settings are wiped out and due to which you are not able to see any library. I think you have to create each of them one by one. And you can use the new edition also. As you had already wiped out the old libraries.

I have WMP11, winxp pro sp2 and a few days ago WMP11 started malfunctioning. It no longer recognizes new audio files. the library didn't update and the list of "Monitored Folders" disappeared and when I add a new one manually, it is not in the list anymore when I go back into the "Add Media to Library" menu. I tried to rebuild my library by deleting the wmdb files that I successfully found thanks to this forum. that DID delete my library listing but now WMP won't rebuild the library. It will play mp3's when I double-click them but wont add them. It also doesn't update CD info using the BURN tab. PLEASE help. I love WMP11. nothing I have tried has worked!no I have not tried renaming the folder yet...I'm assuming you mean renaming the "media player" folder correct? Thanks for the tip! I have a busy day of classes today but will try later tonight and post my results. Ok so here is my current situation. I rolled back from wmp11 to wmp10. wmp10 works just fine. it rebuilt its library, played everything fine...all was well. I then REINSTALLED wmp11 and yet again, the library won't show up/it wont rebuild/it wont keep track of "Monitored Folders". I just tried renaming the Media Player folder....upon wmp11 restart, it DID create a new Media Player folder, but there are no files in it and I am having the same problems as before. any ideas?

WMP11 lost library

I had the same problem. Fixed it today. This fixed it for me:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925718

Good luck

Re: Windows Media Player 11 Lost Library & Media sharing

I just had the problem exactly as described. Following the instructions in the link above fixed it for me too. Had to go into safe mode to delete all the Media Player DB files since one was being used by another process. Just deleting the files in the Media player folder (and even deleting the files out of the cache folders within the media player folder) was not enough. Had to go all the way as in the second part of the instructions and blow the whole "Media Player" folder way. After that, when Media Player was started, it began to immediately rebuild the library, and now everything is fine.
    Last edited by Old_Blevins; 24-02-2009 at 08:51 AM.

I am responding here just to tell you all, that I registered at this Forum just to say thank you and that I appreciate you guys taking your time to answer these questions. After renaming me Media Player folder AND "stopping" the already stopped Media Service as per the instructions given above and "restarting" the media service, my library re-initialized and my media sharing has resumed. I am very appreciative of your time and I thank you all very much.

Hi Guys, I Am having all the exact same problems listed throughout. Thing is I have tried every suggestion I could find on any forum. I Emptied and renamed the Media Player folder, but even after re-installing MP-11 that file remained untouched. Nor did it create a different one. Is there a step I may have missed that can be seen from this info? I wasted my whole weekend on this, would really appreciate the help.

Many users are facing these problems. The following steps would be useful for resolving this problem :
    1. Exit Windows Media Player.
    2. For Windows XP:

Click Start, click Run, type %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.

For Windows Vista:

Click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player, and then click OK.
    3. Select all the files in the folder, and then click Delete on the File menu.

Note You do not have to delete the folders that are in this folder.
    4. Restart Windows Media Player.

Note Windows Media Player automatically rebuilds the database.

1. If this does not resolve the problem, clear the Windows Media Player database cache files. To do this, follow these steps:
    2. Exit Windows Media Player.
    3. If you are running Windows XP, click Start, click Run, type %userprofile%\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft, and then click OK.

If you are running Windows Vista, click Start, click Run, type %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft, and then click OK.
    4. Select the Media Player folder, and then click Delete on the File menu.
    5. Restart Windows Media Player.