Thread: Cannot fast forward or rewind *.wmv files

Cannot fast forward or rewind *.wmv files

Using Windows XP and WMP 11. Due to some reason all media formats working on this computer except one, i.e. .wmv files. Though I am able to play wmv videos but they cannot be rewind and fast forward. I can do this withal other file but not with just wmv. Any help?

RE: Cannot fast forward or rewind *.wmv files

Is this happening with just a particular file or all wmv files? Did you try playing the default video samples you get with the OS installation, are they working fine?

If yes, then the file you facing problem is downloaded from web? Most probably such problem occurs if the file doesn’t have duration for some reason.

I appreciated you help Agilent. Yeah, I’m facing the problem with just a particular file. This is actually a camera footage and the file am talking about is about 24Gb in size. Also, as you asked, I’m able to play XP default sample videos and those can be rewind or fast forward easily. No problem.

Any help with my footage file?

So its obvious that problem is not with Windows Media Player but with the particular file itself. Anyways, there is workaround we can go with, though am not sure whether it will work but you should give it a try.

First of all download Windows Media Decoder from here, install it on your system and launch. When you launch it for the first time, select Custom session and in the sources page click FILE button and point it to the encoder to the footage file. Then click the Output page, check the Archive to file box and give the file a second name or use the same name in a new location. This
    is critical the critical part: Make sure that the "Index file" box is checked. Now simply click on “Start Encode” button.

Now wait for few minutes and let the process completed. Once done, it will add the capability of fast forward and rewind by rewriting your file with an index. Now try playing the file and see if you are able to fast forward.

Re: Cannot fast forward or rewind *.wmv files

You are right Agilent, thanks for sharing. Windows Media Encoder package is the one that could help him because it comes with "windows media file editor", which will write the index without re-encoding. It will surely work.