Thread: Media player won't play movie with subtitles

Media player won't play movie with subtitles

I have a HP Pavilion laptop which is running on Windows Vista. I downloaded a video file and also its subtitles file which is not able to play with Windows Media Player. So to make it play, I downloaded DirectVobSub and installed it but still it wont play it. I have already renamed the subtitle file similar to the Video file but still its not working. Is there any other player that I should get to make it to work or is there any solution for same. Thanks for any input.

Re: Media player won't play movie with subtitles

Could you please tell us what was the file extension of the subtitles file before you renamed it similar to the video file? From what I have known, it could be .sub file or .srt file or even .smi file. Even though there are many other subtitle files but they are not much of a use these days. Let us know the same so that we can help you out.

The subtitle file extension that I have with me is .srt file and I have also uninstalled and reinstalled the directvobsub software but still that is not working for me. Thanks for the replies.

I think that you need to turn on the captions and subtitles area that you need to do in WMP. To do the same in media player, you have to go to the Now Playing Tab and then select the small dropdown menu which is below that. After that go to the menu and the select the Captions and Subtitles and then turn that to ON and then play the video file that you have. Automatically the .srt file will be picked up and played in the same video.

Download a different player known as BSPlayer that is a video player which is compatible with many formats, including DivX, but it is mainly the options it offers that makes it an awesome tool, that are - resizing windows in real time, change the sound volume with the mouse wheel, options to improve the display quality, AC3 compatible, DirectSound 3D, change of skin, etc.

You can even try out the VSFilter software which is the next version of the Vobsub program and also the best program for watching movies with external subtitles. You can use it to insert subtitles for the film in any video player, subtitles are displayed correctly in almost any language. In the same program there is also a lot of small adjustments that make our lives easier and more enjoyable. For example, you can quickly choose a font, size and color for your subtitles. You can also quickly move the subtitles for some time back and forth.