Thread: Media Sharing is disabled automatically

Media Sharing is disabled automatically

Every time I start my Windows XP and launch Windows Media Player 10, I get greeted with the following error message: “Media sharing is currently disabled, either because the service is not running or your firewall settings have changed.”

I need to go to settings and enable the media sharing and then use WMP. But I need to do it every time I restart my system. I don’t know why and how media sharing gets disabled every time.

Do you guys have any idea about this?

RE: Media Sharing is disabled automatically

Even I am facing a very similar problem as you Ascetica. The only difference is whenever I quit Windows Media Player, Media Sharing gets disabled but as soon as I launch Windows Media Player, It gets enabled again. To me it seems like media sharing is NOT running as a service. Lets see if there is anyone who can help us out.

Re: Media Sharing is disabled automatically

Ok, signed up to fix this for 'yall'

Originally this is, "xbox 360 does not share files suddenly" error, which led me to file sharing.

Solution.

Go into network sharing, by right clicking your network status icon and open the network and sharing center.

You will see three icons, if you are connected to the net, it will show your computer, the name of your router, then internet.

Ok, Directly below this it will again show the name of your router, and across from this (to the right) it will say "Customize" click this.

Im pretty sure, your network has Public selected. It seems my windows (vista 64) has disabled Public Folder Sharing on a public network. Since this is a CLIENT-side setting, change this to private. My xbox actually began playing music immediately.. hope this helps with other versions. Good luck