Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Media Player
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Unsupported codecs

Media Player

Old 17-08-2007

Unsupported codecs

Using Windows Media Player 11 since its release. This was the first time I tried playing AVI video file downloaded from web. When I ran the file, WMP came up with the following Error message:

“Windows Media Player cannot play this file. The player might not support the file type or might not support the codec that was used to compress the file.”

As not being tech savvy, I don’t know what I need to do to get rid of this message and play the movie. Can anyone of you help me out?

Old 17-08-2007

RE: Unsupported codecs

Windows Media Player wont play AVI files with the default codec installed. It is non-compatible with file types such as AVI, FLC, etc. So you need to install other codec such as K-Lite or DiVX to play them on WMP.

Just search the name of these codec on Google and you will get the download URLs. Download, install them on your system and enjoy the movie.
Old 17-08-2007

Exactly same thing happening to me...its so annoying...have u solved the problem yet?
Old 24-10-2007

Thanks a lot for you help buddy. That really helped. I downloaded K-lite codec and is working fine now.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Media Player
Tags: , ,