Thread: Windows Media Player cannot access the file error message C00D11D2

Windows Media Player cannot access the file error message C00D11D2

I have bought a new computer along with Vista Installed in it, Whenever I am trying to watch videos or pictures via my external Hard drive attaching it my computer, some files plays with any problems, but on some files I get a error message saying that "Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct".

I have the ownership of those files, I am not able to understand why some files are getting played and some not. Can you please help ?

RE: Windows Media Player cannot access the file error message C00D11D2

Hello,

I think there is a possibility that the files which are stored on your external drive are differing permissions, Please follow the below steps.
    1. Navigate the folder where all the music files are stored.
    2. Right Click for the Properties dialog box.
    3. Click on the security tab and click on advanced button.
    4. You can see the dialog you must be logged on user account in the permission Entries box, Click on edit button.
    5. Check the top box to get full control, and then check the box at the bottom. Apply all the permission and click OK button.

Now these will apply full permission to all the files, If this was the problem, then you must be able to play all the files on your external hard drive.

Windows Media Player cannot access the file error message C00D11D2

Hi

I'm not the most techy minded person so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have my laptop a few months and all was working fine with it. I downloaded the Sky Player so I could watch movies and all worked fine for months and now when I download the movies and press play I get the following error message

Windows Media Player cannot access the file. The file might be in use, you might not have access to the computer where the file is stored, or your proxy settings might not be correct. When I click on webhelp I get nothing except
    error number which is C00D11D2.

Quicktime, Real Player and all online content work. Window Media player plays all music on my laptop and DVD's.

Help please I feel like being a rockstar and throwing my laptop out the window although I'm sure they usually throw TV's!

I have Windows Vista Home basic on my computer and I think WMP 11 ( see I'm cluless)

Any help would be great