Thread: Why won't my WMP 11 play .asx files?

Why won't my WMP 11 play .asx files?

I love listen Online Radios while working on my laptop running with WMP 11 and XP SP2. There are just few radio stations that i use to stream and they working fine earlier. Dont know what went wrong suddenly since last week my WMP is not able to stream any online radio.

The file type of those Radio station is .asx and when I try to stream them, WMP gives me error code C00D11B1. I searched Google, Microsoft and other pages, tried out few steps mentioned suggested but nothing worked.

So you guys have any idea what could be the reason of this sudden problem and how to fix it?

RE: Why won't my WMP 11 play .asx files?

I would like to know two things before I can provide any suggestion. Are you able to play any .asx file from your local hard drive in Windows Media Player? If you don’t have any ASX file on your system then better download one from the site you are streaming, save it on desktop and see if you can play it WMP. if it plays fine then am sure the website itself has the problem

Secondly, did you installed or uninstalled any problem last week just before the problem occurred? If yes, you need to remove that software because that could be interfering with the player and hence you getting the error.

Re: Why won't my WMP 11 play .asx files?

I appreciate your help Fajardo but I don’t think there is any problem with the website because I have one desktop as well at my home and Radio streaming from the same site is working fine on that system. And not on my laptop.

Re: Why won't my WMP 11 play .asx files?

I had the exact same problem start last week and today I figured out how to get them to play. Somehow when I download the .asx files there are 3 characters being stuffed into the file's contents at the beginning of the file and 3 more characters at the end. I think these are throwing off WMP's ability to parse the XML of the .asx file.

Steps to fix:
    1) Download .asx file
    2) Go to the file properties and uncheck "Read-Only"
    3) Edit the file to remove the 3 characters at the beginning and the end of the file
    4) Open in WMP11

I'm not sure what's causing this problem but hopefully this helps some one...