Thread: WMP11 Won't play MP3, AVI Files

WMP11 Won't play MP3, AVI Files

I upgraded to Windows Media Player about 2 weeks ago and it worked very fine until yesterday. But since morning today, it is not able to play any of MP3 and Avil file formats. It was able to play these files until yesterday but stopped working now. Weird part is that it wont even generate any error for not playing this files, just nothing happens while I try opening any file with WMP.

I thought it could be the problem with version 11, hence I removed the same installed WMP 9 again but getting the same problem now with this as well. Though I have other players as well on my PC and can play these files in that players but I want to know what has suddenly went wrong with WMP and how can I fix it?

Thanks for all your advices.

Re: WMP11 Won't play MP3, AVI Files

As you said the files are still not playing even after reverting back to WMP 9, than obviously the problem is not with the media player. There is something else creating the issue and most likely I suspect that your files are corrupted by other players/tag editors. But here also I cannot be sure because if that would be the reason then WMP should generate an error message saying it cannot play the file when WMP encounters corrupt files.

We need to find out the perfect cause of this problem on web but till then I’ll suggest you to try stripping the ID3 tags and playing just the MP3 portion of the file as a test in Media Player. See if it is able to play it like this. Let me know the results.

Since I've been having the same problem with my windows media player, I was wondering if you ever sorted out the issue. Did you try the id3 tags thing that the last person suggested?