Thread: Help - WMP11 won't play my music

Help - WMP11 won't play my music

I am running Windows Media Player 10 and have downloaded many tracks from the microsoft music store with all the valid licenses to play it on my pc and also to burn it to the CD. Now, I have upgraded to WMP 11 and most of the tracks that I downloaded from their store will not play at all. They seem to be as protected and the properties tag says that the 'This file is missing media usage rights.' If I click on the red cross to the track a message comes up saying that "Windows Media Player cannot play the protected file because a security upgrade is required. Do you want to download the security upgrade?" If I click on that then I get "A Windows Media component requires upgrading" and when I click upgrade nothing happens. Any help?

Open Internet Explorer and then go to the this webpage http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp, but remember to close Windows Media Player first and then only proceed. When you are on the same page then is the "upgrade" button active and clickable or is it grayed out? If it is active then can you try to click on that button and then restart Windows Media Player and see if it is working fine?

It seems as if your DRM (Digital Rights Management) component of Windows has got corrupted because of which it is not able to recognize that you are having a license for playing those videos. In order to fix this issue you can reset DRM files and for that you can follow below steps:
    • Go to Start, click on Run, type "control folders" without quotes and press Enter.
    • Now click on "View" tab, select "Show hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide protected operating system files/folders" and "Hide extensions for know file types". from there.
    • After that check out for DRM folder, it should be at C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/DRM and rename DRM to "DRMBACKUP" and play play your tracks Windows Media Player again.
    • A small security upgrade will be carried out and your DRM file will get reset and you should not face any issue in playing tracks downloaded from Microsoft music store.