Thread: WMV HD Stutters w/ WMP11

WMV HD Stutters w/ WMP11

I have few full 720P high definition videos in WMV format that I use to play fine with WMP 9 or WMP 10. Couple of days ago I updated my WMP to version 11 on XP SP2 desktop and since then whenever I try playing any of these videos it Stutters or play jerky.

Why is that so? I mean, it is the upgraded version, instead it should be able to play it more comfortably right? Any idea what is wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Re: WMV HD Stutters w/ WMP11

There is no such problem in my WMP when playing HD videos. I’ve even tried playing 1080p videos and they work very fine. I guess you might have some wrong settings that is creating the issue. OK, just open Windows Media Player click the small drop down arrow. Here click on More Options, click Performance and select Advanced. Here just make sure that you are using video mixing renderer and overlays selected in the DVD section. Now go to Video Video Acceleration and do the same changes here as well.

Now re-start Windows media Player and see if you are getting playing HD videos yet.

Yeah, that is correct friend. I remembered all this settings as I used to do these in WMP 10 for HD video playback hence I already did it in this WMP 11 as well. But the problem is still as it is. Also the problem is when I do all these settings, wmp goes upto 100% in task manager.

So I guess this upgraded version itself is the problem. Should I go back to WMP 10 again?

Do you have any graphic card installed on your system, if yes, which one?

Ok, you are going to LOVE this. I have had this problem, EXACT SAME ONE, from the beginning of WMP11's final build. I was able to find the culprit. That being WMP11's runtime. If you ever want to test things out, you can get the Zune software as it installs it and then get updates vis the MS Update site. Then test things out.
    Every time I contacted MS about this, they say 1 of two things or just ignore me.
    1. The problem is with your computer, it needs to be upgraded because it does not meet the specifications to run 720P HDWMV's.
    2. The problem is OS related, try re-installing it and if that does not work you will need advanced help from our tech support line.
    Now, I know it's not my PC, and I will post my specs at the end. But clean installs don't matter if it can be reverted to WMP 10's runtime and be fine, and they want me to pay over $100 for a phone call that will most likely result in no success! Also, I actually DID a clean install just to make sure as well. Come on MS... I want a Zune, but I will in NO way get one until WMP 11's runtime is fixed. If I hear anything, I will post here.

PS. I am just about A+ certified, so if that doesn't could for something, I don't know what will.

ASUS A7N8X DELUXE
    AMD AthlonXP 2700 +
    1GB Dual Channel PC 3200 RAM (Gotta love separate timing feature of the BIOS here!)
    eVga nVidia 7800GS
    Main HDD is a WD Raptor SATA.
    Thus, I surpass 720P recommendations here.

Ok, I found a temporary solution that MIGHT work.
    First off, let me say it turns out some WMVHD videos do not properly get encoded. That's it, it makes WMV11 try to fix it and WMP 10's runtime ignores the errors.
    Ok, I can get smooth playback with NO problems using Zoom player. I am using the free one now and it's just fine with WMP 11 installed and playing files in the background.