Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Media Player
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

What is "Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim"? Should I all a website to

Media Player

Old 27-10-2006

What is "Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim"? Should I all a website to

I have installed Windows Media Player 10 recently and surprisingly when i use Internet explorer i get message asking me if i want to install "Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim from Microsoft Corporation" , any idea why i am getting that message even when i am having a updated version of media player installed???

Old 27-10-2006

Re: What is "Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim"? Should I all a website to

I guess some instance of windows Media Player 6.4 is still there in your system. I want to know if you have made clean installation of Media Player 10 or you have just installed it over Media Player 6.4. If you might have installed it over Media Player 6.4 than there are possibilities where Media Player 10 might have not overwritten Media Player 6.4. Just try doing a clean installation of Media Player 10 and let me know if you get the same error message again.
Old 28-10-2006

Hey i am getting same prompt for installing Windows Media 6.4 Player Shim. In my case my system runs Windows xp Media Center Edition SP2, internet explorer 7 and Windows Media Player 10. I had made clean installation of Media Player 10 in my case so i don't know if i should install 6.4 Player Shim or not.
Old 31-10-2006

I will like to inform you both that the prompt you both are talking about comes up when a video recorded using Windows Media Player 6.4 codec is played. So the prompt basically asks you to load the active-X component as an add-in for Internet explorer 7. I will suggest you to check out first if it is redirecting you to a trustworthy site. If yes than install it, if not than don't, hope that helps.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Media Player
Tags: , ,