Thread: Playing .tivo files in WMP 11

Playing .tivo files in WMP 11

When ever I am playing any .tivo file in Windows Media Player 10 then it will be seen like it is squashed with tiny aspect ratio video since WMP doesnt likes the 480x480 value in the MPEG header. So I was wondering if I upgrade to WMP 11 then will the stretching of the pixels to 720x480 corrected. This tivo file plays properly in the other player like Sonic MyDVD. So, it seems to me that proper codecs are installed on my pc even though WMP is not selecting the codec to play it correctly. So, should I install WMP 11 to solve this issue?

Re: Playing .tivo files in WMP 11

Could you please tell us what is the resolution or the layout of the screen that you are using? There are some vendors that do provide custom drivers now a days that could support non-standard resolutions or could not.

Re: Playing .tivo files in WMP 11

I would recommend you to use Pavtube that is a Video Converter which includes almost all common formats and also those that are not commonly used in many utilities. The videos can be converted to AVE, MPEG, MPG, VOB, MOV, WMV, 3GP or MP4. You can also convert music formats including MP3, AC3, MP2, WMA, M4A, WAV, etc. In the video function, Pavtube Video Converter provides cropping, adjusting aspect ratio, bit rate, joining several movies into one, take snapshots of a particular time, etc. It also has the function of previewing the projects as they are being processed.

It surely seems to be a decoder or a codec problem therefore you have to make sure that your dvd software is up to date or install the latest version of the software. You can use something like deccheck that you can get from microsoft to check the current decoder if it is installed. Apart from that you can also use free DIRECTSHOW DUMP utility to convert the .tivo file to .mpg and then download alternate media players like VLC media player or Media Player Classic or Divx player.