Thread: I can't play WMV Audio

I can't play WMV Audio

I remember I was able to play .wmv files on Windows Media player 10 on Xp computer. Now I have a Vista laptop running windows media player 11 and it is not able to play videos in wmv extension. Whenever I try playing the same, it says:

“Codec is missing
    Windows Media Player cannot play the file (or cannot play either the audio or video portion of the file) because the Sipro Lab Telecom ACELP.net (130) codec is not installed on your computer.”

So as suggested in the error, I went to that website, downloaded the required codec but still getting the same error. Is there something like WMP 11 or vista itself is not compatible with this file format? Or let me know if there is any way we can wmv files on this system. Many thanks.

Re: I can't play WMV Audio

As per my personal experience there is no way we can make it happen as I have wasted 2 months finding solution for the same on my vista laptop with WMP 11 installed. Finally I quit using WMP and switched to VLC and Real Player. Never had any problem with them. So you know what I mean.

Re: I can't play WMV Audio

Well as stated in the error, the problem is with Sipro codecs and they are working on it. If you want you can drop a mail to them describing your problem. They will let you know what they can do for you.

Re: I can't play WMV Audio -- Solution

(This worked for me on WMP11 on WINXP, I guess you can try it for Vista too)

I've been toiling with this problem too but I have fixed my problem! I've tried downloading so many codec packs and reinstalled WMP itself but it did not fix the problem. Now I know everybody has told you to check your speakers, make sure they're not muted and make sure the file types are associated with WMP, but you also need to check WMP itself!

Open WMP and go to Tools > Options > Devices > Speakers (and then click on properties...

Make sure the Sound Playback here is listed as yours sound card and NOT Default Direct Sound Device (which somehow mine got set to).

Click OK.

If you want, you can also go to the PLAYER tab and check Connect to the Internet and Download Codecs Automatically so you can be certain that it is attempting to download codecs if you need them.

This fixed my issues with WMP not being able to recognize MP3s OR WMVs. It also fixed my problem with No Audio while playing other video files.

I hope this helps someone out there cause I know I couldn't find a good solution out there on the internet. If this works for you, please, copy and paste this info in similar forums so people out there will have a better chance to find this solution.

-PJ, www.JWorksStudios.com