Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Media Player
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Register Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Windows Media Player 11 / seek bar does not work with MPEG files

Media Player

Old 30-08-2006

Windows Media Player 11 / seek bar does not work with MPEG files

The seek bar fails to work in Windows Media Player only when I play MPEG files. The video files starts but does not move ahead at all. Also in the library there is no complete lenght shown up. Fast Forwarding is working fine. I need some help here to fix the same. I am using Windows Media Player 10 and I am sure there would be people who are aware about this bug.

Old 06-09-2006

The problem does not lie with Windows Media Player, those mpeg files are not proper. This happens to me when I was trying to run a old video on Windows Media Player. It worked but the seek bar does not work. I cannot jump to further part of video. It can also be due to corrupt index files of the audio. You can try converting the video is avi or wmv format. Then see the seek bar will work.
Old 02-04-2007

Yes that is right. I got the same issue on DVD files. They do not skip ahead. I have to watch them from start to end. But then I converted them to .avi format and it worked. There is no problem with video player. I thought Windows Media Player might get any kind of fix for this issue. But somehow it is the video problem and you cannot do anything to Media Player.
Old 16-09-2008

Yes simply convert that to a readable format and done, you do not require to make changes in Windows Media Player. I was facing issue with certain homebrews DVD on it. I thought it was Media Player problem so I re-installed it. But that did not worked. Later on I converted the videos and things went fine.
Old 01-03-2009

Re: Windows Media Player 11 / seek bar does not work with MPEG files

Hullo, Seeing though this kept coming up in a related search I had I signed up to post my findings. Now, not with movie files for me, but .WAV/WMA/CD AUDIO Files the Seek in WMP11 would not work unless I ran WMP from the programs location, it would not seek if I double clicked a file or from a CD, now I have seached high and low and haven't found a solution on the internet, but I have come across a curious fix (well for my audio file problems at least, it might work with video too) No where had this answer, and I looked high and low at registry values and settings and conflicts, and my finding drew me toward the way it works with the library, If I had a WAV file playing that wasn't seeking and in the library tab I clicked "play all" it would start to seek, yay... now, this still was a problem as when I shut down WMP and double clicked the file again, alas the seek did not work again. Anyway the reason I am posting is because I found a fix for it. When WMP is maximised, the first tab... now playing, by default has an option turned off that should be on (well at least on 4 PCs I've seen). There is a little arrow on the bottom of the "Now Playing" Tab... Click it and then check the option "Show List Pane". Problem fixed, I can now double click WAV/WMA/CD etc... Files and the seek bar works once again, simple as that.
Old 03-08-2009

Re: Windows Media Player 11 / seek bar does not work with MPEG files

I have also encountered the same problem. But I found that when I open the files directly and then add them to a playlist, I can use the seek bar. However it is time consuming. And it is inconvenient because I have to open the files in the playlist so I cant see their thumbnails. Does anyone know other ways to fix this problem?

Last edited by momen : 03-08-2009 at 10:11 PM.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Media Player
Tags: , , ,