Thread: WMP10- Can't Play Streaming Video or .asx Error Code C00D11BD

WMP10- Can't Play Streaming Video or .asx Error Code C00D11BD

Earlier I was able to stream videos online from our company’s website in WMP directly without downloading them on PC. It is Windows Media Player 10 running on Windows XP Home. Now since a week whenever I try streaming any video from the same website I get the following error message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "mms:")."

I have tried doing this on both Internet Explorer 6 and Firefox but the same result. WMP is no more able to stream the videos. Furthermore, when I click on More Information on that error window, I get this:

"C00D11BD: Cannot play the file Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is
    not supported.

If you encountered this error by typing a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "mms:") to open the file.

If you encountered this error by clicking a link on a Web page, the link might not be valid.

Error ID = 0xC00D11BD, Condition ID = 0x00000000"

So far I have tried whatever I know with WMP troubleshooting but nothing seems to be working. Do you guys have any idea regarding this? Please help.

Re: WMP10- Can't Play Streaming Video or .asx Error Code C00D11BD

I checked your company’s website and found that the link uses protocol, which rolls over to rtsp streaming in WMP9 or higher. Also these protocols use to go with UDP stream by default and hence just go open Windows Media Player, click Tools, click Option, click Network and here check whether the box for UDP is set to rtsp or mms. You need to make it mss. Also better make changes in proxy settings and make it "Do not use a proxy server" by clicking configure option.

Hello T.J., even I’m facing a similar problem on Windows XP 2002 SP2 with Windows media player 10. I was able to stream the videos earlier but from last couple of days I get error code "C00D11BD" with “Error ID = 0xC00D11BB, Condition ID = 0x00000000” along with the following error message:

“Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the specified protocol is not supported. If you typed a URL in the Open URL dialog box, try using a different transport protocol (for example, "mms:").”

I tried out your solution but it doesn’t work for me. Any other help please?

Hey guys, I have a working solution for the above mentioned problem (atleast it worked for me). In my case I just renamed the WMP 10 folder and problem solved. Actually when we rename this folder and launch WMP next time, it use to create a fresh new folder with that name. After doing this my problem solved and I was able to stream the videos online like before.

So just go to the following location: “\Documents and Settings\<your user>\Local
    Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows Media\10.0” and rename that last (10.0) folder to something else. That’s it.

I'm with Jeni, tried it all and still nothing doing - it was working fine til opening GoogleEarth crashed my PC while watching the stream.

Rolled back to WMP 9 and up to WMP 11, nothing, tried registry fix, nothing. Tried IE7, nothing. It works fine on another PC I have here, so must be some corruption in my PC. Anyone got any more clues? Try it yourself at www.cricketon.tv - the 'sample' pages are free and don't work for me either anymore.

It's ANNOYING!

Fixed it

OK, fixed it. It was a DRM problem, seems I hadn't fully enabled viewing of system files in Windows Explorer (had ticked a couple of 'show hidden files' boxes, but not the right one it turns out). I basically followed the page http://support.microsoft.com/KB/810422 and confirmed DRM folder location via Regedit.

Just renamed DRM folder and then followed the Microsoft link (http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/...en/indivit.asp) which downloaded a clean DRM folder to my system (I assume) and it then worked.

Do Microsoft really sell Windows as a consumer product? They wanted about USD$70 just to have a look at this problem - one they created! If Microsoft made cars I'd get a horse.