Thread: SOUNDMAX 4.0 stopped Working

SOUNDMAX 4.0 stopped Working

Right now I am running Windows XP on my ASUS P4P800 motherboard. Somehow the SOUNDMAX has gone. I can see the ICON in the startup but when I put the mouse over it, it says No Soundmax Audio present. It was fine till yesterday. Today suddenly it stopped working. The Soundmax version is 4.0. What can I do now?

Re: SOUNDMAX 4.0 stopped Working

In order to check this, first of all you need to do is open the Control Panel> Sound console and see whether you can do anything there or not. If nothing works there then go to the device manager and see whether you can see a yellow mark on "Sound, video and game controllers". If there is one, right click on it and choose Properties. Note down the details of sound card and search for the same drivers on Google. It looks like you have to re-install or update the driver in your computer.

What type of sound card you have and based on the model and manufacturer, visit its official website and download the sound card from there. Not all sound drivers cover certain sound cards. I assume that is an Intel audio card. Go to the Intel website and check if they have the sound drivers for the motherboard that you have or not.

It seems to me that the sound card might be disabled in the BIOS. If so, when you turn on the PC, the screen goes black at first, you must press something like Del key on the keyboard to enter Setup or "Press F1 to Setup" or something similar. After that enter Setup and find the option to load the default settings, and then restart the computer. Check to see if you are getting sound now?

SoundMax is actually part of the software driver for your Audio card so the problem should be solved by reinstalling the driver. For the further course, look just below:
    • Start - Control Panel - Speech, and Audio Devices
    • Click on Sounds and Audio Devices

There are several settings you can check here (and possibly you have already completed). I will sum them up.

Volume tab
    • Check 'Mute' button is not pressed and also check whether the volume is not at the lowest level.
    • At the bottom you can see "Speaker Settings", there click on 'Advanced'
    • Check the speaker setup in the first tab.

Audio tab
    • In "Play Sound", tell us anything it says "Default Sound"
    • Tell us here what other devices aree in the list

Hardware tab
    • Here are the specifications of your hardware. Please also note the same here on the forum.

I cannot give you step by step information right now but you can find all sorts of settings if your speakers are not correct.