Thread: Windows Media Player 12 won't add/show music files in Windows 7

Windows Media Player 12 won't add/show music files in Windows 7

I have recently upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate and it is now running Windows Media Player 12. All updates are properly installed but the problem is that WMP refuses to display music files. There is nothing to complain about videos and pictures. There are lots of music files in the music library. Also WMP is scanning the music library and updating music files from online but none of them show up in the list. I can only see 3 sample songs. Any ideas?

Re: Windows Media Player 12 won't add/show music files in Windows 7

It is not a big issue. If you are using Windows 7 which has Windows Media Player 12 then this problem can be solved easily. First of all open the Media player and go to Tools > Advanced > Restore Media Library. Now close the Media Player. Open it once again and see whether it is showing the music files or not.

It seems to me that your library database has been corrupted and you need to rebuild it from the scratch. To do this:
    • Close the Windows media player if it is running.
    • Shut down all the media sharing service. To do this Go to Start->Control Panel->All Control Panel Items->Administrative Tools->Services. Right-click on the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service and select Stop.
    • Now you should take a look into the c:\Users\your username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Media Player. Here you should delete the files named as - CurrentDatabase_***.wmdb and LocalMLS_*.wmdb.
    • Once again start the Media sharing service.
    • Launch Windows Media player and check the library.

Evne I had the same kind of problem. I was also not able to do the SFC scan. I was getting strange administrator error in cmd. So for that reason I manually searched for any .wmdb files and deleted them and it worked. To do the same check the below method:
    • Go to the Windows Start > Computer from menu bar.
    • In the top search box type .wmdb.
    • Erase all .wmdb files
    • Now launch the Windows Media player and press F3 to update

If you want to manage only music files, you should go ahead:

• Clean the current media library and go to the Folder Options and make all files visible.
    • Now go to C: \ Users \ username \ AppData \ Local \ Microsoft \ Media Player and delete all .Wmdb files.
    • Open the Windows Media Player and click Organize> Click Manage Libraries> Music
    • In that Windows now you can add and remove folders. First remove all folders in it.
    • After that go to Organize> Options> Copy Music> Change and choose the appropriate folder.
    • Close the Windows Media player and see in task manager to make sure that it is not active.
    • Now again clean the Media library.
    • Start the Windows Media Player again and wait till it read all files from selected folders.

For Windows Media Player it is recommended to add music to the folder monitoring feature. This means that the contents of these folders is mirrored any where with the library of the Windows Media Player. Here you click in the library mode in the windows media player and then click Organize and then click Manage Libraries.

The issue normally indicates that the library or folder that contains data streams is not read or supported by the windows media player. Otherwise it could be an issue of MLS type classification entry which isn’t set. However this would be only necessary for MP4 along with other natively supported types.