Thread: Improper AVI sync when converted from Videotape

Improper AVI sync when converted from Videotape

Recently I have recorded some videotape recording to avi format by the using the AVS Video Recorder. After the completion I went back to check those converted video. While playing I have noticed that audio is about half a second faster than the normal video. I mean I listen audio first and then video comes. It is really distracting on playback. For that reason I have converted AVI to M4V but still there is no change. What kind of adjustments should I make to sync the video and audio simultaneously?

Re: Improper AVI sync when converted from Videotape

You can try to repair it:
    • First of all download and install the VirtualDub which is a video capture/processing utility. It is compatible with 32-bit Window OS.
    • Now launch the VirtualDub and open your AVI file in that.
    • Next step is go to "Video" and choose "Direct Stream Copy".
    • Once again go to Video" > "Frame Rate" (Ctrl+R).
    • There you should select the radio button named "Change video and audio durations match". Now you will get non-standard frame rate.
    • The last step is going to File" > "Save as AVI" (F7). Now play the file and see what you can get. I hope that now it is a fully synchronized movie

I don’t think that it is the conversion fault; it is actually the problem with your Media player. The conversion might have happened properly but your video player is not able to play the video in a correct manner. So I urge you to go for VLC PLAYER because there you will get a setting to adjust for bad sync.

AVI means Audio Video Interleave. It is a multimedia format that combines audio and video in a synchronous manner. With high image quality and availability on multiple platforms, it is mainly applied to the media CD to store information for all types of images on TV, movies, etc. It seems to me that you are only concentrating at "capture" of DV-AVI, not at MPEG. If you are looking for analog to DV, there are several options which could fix your issue. You have to do some more research over that.

In order to fix fix audio sync in AVI file:
    • Download the AviMUX and install it in your computer
    • Then open the avi file into Avi_mux (right-click -> add).
    • Select “Generate Data Source from Files” button. You will see audio and video streams radio button in the bottom window
    • Next step is to click in audio stream. You will get “delay [ms]” showing on the right side
    • Enter audio delay value
    • At last click start button, select output as avi filename.

I usually capture VHS by the use of ADVC-100. And then I use WinDV in order to get DV data to my HDD. After that I am using the Ulead Video Studio in order to edit the avi file as well as the author. I didn’t get any kind of problems with the Audio sync by using this software. If you want, you can check with the trail version.

To fix your issue I have an easy solution.
    • Re-download or export the AVI file. Due to small amount of RAM, you will often notice errors while converting Videotape to AVI. So while exporting make sure to close all running programs.
    • Open the video editor program and open that AVI file. Move the audio track ahead a frame until the audio and video matches.
    • Now click on "File" then "Export."
    • Put a blank DVD into the DVD drive and launch the DVD burning software.
    • Drag the AVI video file and burn it on the DVD. Now check the disc by playing it using good media player.