Thread: New VLC 2.0 Crashes in Windows XP

New VLC 2.0 Crashes in Windows XP

You might have known that there is a new version of VLC available to download on the official site. The new version is v2.0. Well, I have installed it in my computer after completely removing the previous version. I have worked with previous version of VLC and all them working fine. Now this new version is keep on crashing in my computer. Right now I am running Windows XP. Whenever I click the play button, it gets freezes. It then only works, after reboot. What’s wrong with this version?

Re: New VLC 2.0 Crashes in Windows XP

I think that before playing the video or any format file on VLC, it would be better to take a look at the audio / video output options. In order to go there, just follow Tools> Preferences > Audio. There might be some incorrect settings or otherwise some kind of codec conflict with another video application installed in your computer and due to this the player might be crashing. The conflict could be caused because of Windows Media player as well.

Anyway, what format file you want to play now?

I don’t think that there are some kind of incorrect audio/video setting that could cause the VLC player to crash. If there were incorrect settings, then VLC simply wouldnt play the file. The issue could be something different like an incompatible or corrupted file/type. In my previous version of VLC I was experiencing crash while trying to play MKV file but sometimes it also happens with AVI file. I think that it is all about the bit rate.

You need to check whether Windows Media player is screwing with your VLC player and its codecs or not. Also see whether there is any bug or incompatibility issue in Graphics driver. It seems like it is just screwing with the RAM or may be other system resources to crash on itself.

Well I hope they have improved some important bugs. It really gives a lot of problem, sometimes when opening an MP3 it crashes and fails to open it. In Linux, it has given me problems with some videos, which either plays choppy or freezes from time to time, while with gnome player is perfect.

As far as I know, the new VLC 2.0 "Twoflower" brings major new features with a faster decoding technology on different architectures, as well as the ability to work with more high-quality formats. The video playing has also been enhanced with a new rendering pipeline, with better quality subtitles and new filters to the videos. The improvements are really noticeable and as a bonus, it is now capable of playing BluRay on an experimental basis, something that will please those who purchase these same discs.

I think that the issue has something to do with the GPU based video acceleration fault. I had the same kind of problem before. You should look into the Event Viewer when there is a crash. In my case I have installed the latest version of ATI drivers for my GPU but still was not able to solve the problem completely but it minimized the issue little bit.

It seems to me like some kind of a new bug in the VLC update. A few people have experienced random crashes either playing a song or a video. The issue is not restricted to only one format but other formats are also making the the player to crash. So It is obviously a VLC problem.