Thread: Windows Media Player renaming songs automatically

Windows Media Player renaming songs automatically

Currently my system has the latest version of Windows Media Player in Windows 7. There are several songs already stored. I am playing them through WMP only because it is set as a default media player for Windows 7 now. But yesterday I have noticed that WMP had renamed twelve songs. Other than this it also moved those renamed file into a different artist directory and also changed the album titles. At first I thought that it was simply a glitch or a bug. But today morning when I turned on my system, all songs were rearranged. I didn’t do anything strange on my computer, any ideas?

Re: Windows Media Player renaming songs automatically

It seems to me that, it is some kind of a new feature in Windows media player. First of all you should take a look into the WMP settings. There could be some settings like REARRANGE MY MUSIC which you have to turn off or something.

Did you create any playlist in Windows Media player?

It seems to me that you are seeing those files in the playlist which are not original files. The playlist might have arranged automatically as described in the WMP settings. The playlist created can be arranged like any format for random play or ordered play. WMP may arrange those songs by renaming them. Once the system is rebooted, you may see those files getting rearranged again.

I have never come accross this strange things on Windows Media Player. I am also playing all music through the WMP and I didn’t see anything strange like what you have described. I even have iTunes installed. I can only assume that it could be the cause of some third party plug-ins or codecs installed for your WMP. Otherwise I have only one assumption and that is, WMP is showing you the Song name while playing which is different than the actual file name.

The problem with many people is that the music collection on your computer comes from various sources; some songs were copied from the cd and mp3 while others could be downloaded from the Internet or they could be radio recordings as well. Every mp3 file can have a different name, with tags that prevent the proper cataloging and organizing of your collection. So I think that you might have installed one without your concern and due to this all your songs are getting renamed by itself.

As far as I know there are few music players which can edit tags in an mp3 file but the change only works for the player or within the player only. It will not modify the original file. However I didn’t see any single perfect program to do this. No programs have an optimal solution for arranging as well as writing the tags in an automatic manner.