Thread: Windows Media Player Music Files License lost

Windows Media Player Music Files License lost

A couple of months ago I took my computer in to be repaired (virus removed and Norton installed). Since that time, I cannot play previous music I had downloaded into my Windows Media Player library. In fact I cannot find my library anymore as it had been listed. I do still have music titles listed in "My Music" folder and I can click on those song titles which opens up the media player. Looks normal but when I click on "Play" I'm linked to Windows Microsoft and get the following message:

A license is required to play this file
    The file you are trying to play was ripped (copied) from an audio CD.

During the ripping process, the file was "protected." This limits the number of computers on which the file can be played.

To play the file on this computer, you must download a license (a process known as "license migration"). A license acts an electronic key that allows you to "unlock" a protected file and play it.

To download a license for this file, click Download License.

I click on the "Download License" and get the following:

Notes:
    Microsoft keeps track of the number of license migrations that have been performed for this content. Microsoft does not collect any contact information (such as your name, address, telephone number, or e-mail address) to perform the migration. For more information about the information that is sent to Microsoft, see the Privacy Statement.

For more information about protected files and license migration, see the Windows Media Player FAQ page.A license has been downloaded to your computer. You may now use the file.

However, the player still will not play anything and I also get this error message showing on top of the Microsoft statement:

error 438:unknown error occurred when storing your license
    Can someone tell me what's happened and can it be "fixed" (in simple layman terms, please?)? THANKS!
    Last edited by Jan in KY; 20-01-2012 at 01:38 PM. Reason: color removed

re: Windows Media Player Music Files License lost

Does repaired means you had re-installed the operating system or just removed the virus. Because if you had gone with only virus removal process then you must not receive this error. But if the operating is re-installed then you might have lost the music license. Under DRM it is allowed only once to copy the file and as the license files are wiped out you are facing the error. To fix the issue you will need contact the music provider from where you had purchased the file.
    Licenses do not download- Error: 438- despite recovery confirmation