Thread: Rename TITLES, not FILENAMES, all at once. WMP11

Rename TITLES, not FILENAMES, all at once. WMP11

One of my friend is having Vista laptop with Windows Media Player 11. He have various MP3 files on his system that show up in WMP with ARTIST-SONGTITLE. As the song title is same, artist name gets included automatically in the songtitle in the Now Playing list as well as Library Title column. Now what he wants to do is remove the Artists name and leave just song title with out changing the file name. I know I can do this one by one but what if you have more than 4500 songs?

Is that possible to change all at once? If yes, please let me know how?

RE: Rename TITLES, not FILENAMES, all at once. WMP11

I don’t know whether it can be done all at once in Windows Media Player but yes you can do using third party tools such as MP3Tag. It allows you to edit metadata of common audio formats where it supports ID3v1, ID3v2.3, ID3v2.4, iTunes MP4, WMA, Vorbis Comments and APE Tags. If you want you can download one from here

Re: Rename TITLES, not FILENAMES, all at once. WMP11

I have not tried using WMP11 to rename files as described. It seems rather awkward and subject to change on the next revision.

I recommend MP3Tag. I'm an IT professional and former engineer. It can extract filename information separated by delimiters into field information and create filenames based on field names. The interface can take a little while to figure out but the scripting is straightforward. It allows you to preview your changes before committing to permanent change, which is handy for figuring out the various functions.

Of course, the delimiters have to be in the right place. I use a shareware program called "The Rename" which can do things like put an underscore between the 10th and 11th characters of the filename, starting from left or right. It also does search and replace which is great from when you get those files that come with the artist name misspelled. When you are doing 400 files at a time, it's the only way to go.