Thread: WMP 12 Video Settings (Brightness/Contrast etc.) Won't Work

WMP 12 Video Settings (Brightness/Contrast etc.) Won't Work

Facing strange problem with my brand new Sony CW laptop and Windows Media Player. It is running with Win7 64bit, Nvidia GeForce GT 230m video card and WMP 12. The laptop is a week old but this is the first time I tried using Media Player. I ran a video whose playback was not proper hence I tried to change few settings but surprisingly WMP wont allow me to do the same. I am just not able to do changes in colour, contrast, brightness etc.

I thought it could be the graphic card problem and hence updated its driver as well as K-lite codec pack but still getting the same problem. I tried making some changes in display driver settings but all those options are grayed out over there.

Do you guys have any idea what could be the problem? Please help.

Re: WMP 12 Video Settings (Brightness/Contrast etc.) Won't Work

I don’t know what could be the source of this problem but we can try out few workouts. First of all try uninstalling K-Lite codec pack, restart the system and see if you are able to make any changes. If yet not, then better download DivX codec pack and install. Also can you just tell me what is the file extension of the video you are trying to play when the setting options are getting grayed out? One more thing you can do is try out playing the default Sample WMV videos that you get with operating system and see if settings work with these videos.

RE: WMP 12 Video Settings (Brightness/Contrast etc.) Won't Work

Hey thanks for your reply buddy. I have tried uninstalling K-lite and installing DivX but they seem to be helpful. Also I am able to access video enhancement but the settings I want to change is about colors and all that is inaccessible.

As far as I know Windows Media Player is not able to play media formats such as FLV or AVi, etc and I guess the video you are trying to play might be in any of these formats. Hence you may get such problems. BTW the most probably cause of this issue could be your drivers. Either video card drive or any other system driver. So the best you can do is run Windows Update and install everything you get for WMP. If still the problem exists, better download VLC and play the video.

You are correct friend, even I think the driver is the source of problem. But I have already tried out updating them and still the problem exists. But anyways, I have also downloaded other media players such as VLC and Real Player and video seems to be working fine but the problem is I have many playlists and other stuffs configured with WMP as I use this itself as my default player. And quitting it just because am not able to change few contrast and color settings would be not sensible.

I hope Microsoft should know about these problems and patch it because people will starting quitting WMP and switch to other players like I’m going to do.

Hey guys, back again. It seems like I have solved the problem. Yesterday when I started the laptop it started in “Diagnostic Startup” mode automatically and once the process completed, I tried the WMP settings again and this time I was able to change settings. So it seems like there was any startup program or any service that was conflicting with the same earlier. So if anyone else facing this problem, before you do anything else just check your startup list and services.