Thread: File .mkv with WMP 12 in Windows 7

File .mkv with WMP 12 in Windows 7

I copied few HD movies in MKV format from my Vista laptop to Windows 7 desktop. These movies were able to run fine in WMP 11 on vista but wont play in Windows 7 with WMP 12. I thought could be the codec issue, installed K-Lite latest codec but yet the same result.

I am sure there is nothing like WMP 12 cannot play HD movies because it is able to run 1080p movie which is in .TS format. Then whats the problem running 720p mkv movie? How can I fix it? Any help please?

Re: File .mkv with WMP 12 in Windows 7

Its really very strange. Is it the problem only with this particular mkv file (720p) OR were you able to play any mkv on this system earlier? Also just try changing the file extension of the file from .mkv to .ts and see if it is able to play it.

One more thing, if it is not able to play the file, you might be getting some error message or error code right? Please mention that error in your reply.

I appreciated your reply Abdul. As the system is just 5 days old, this is the first time I tried playing the MKV files and got this problem. Also the problem is this windows is in Italian language hence I dint mentioned the error message before but after using the translation to English it comes up saying something like this:

“It's possible that WMP doesn't support this kind of file or the codec used to compress it”

Also changing the file extension dint helped. Let me know if you need anything more but please help me fixing this. Thanks again.

Though Windows Media Player is by default not compatible for MKV files but after installing K-lite, it should work. But as you saying it is still not able to play, the best I can suggest you is download open source VLC player. It is capable to play almost every audio and video format without any problem. No matter 1080p.