Thread: How to play ".mts" or ".m2ts" files.

How to play ".mts" or ".m2ts" files.

I want to know if it is possible to play .mts or .m2ts files in Windows Media Player? I have tried downloading "ffdshow_rev1900_20080315_xxl.exe " as one of my friends had suggested me and currently i can hear the audio while playing .mts and .m2ts but i cant get the video. Please help.

Re: How to play ".mts" or ".m2ts" files.

Why don't you use Super (free) to convert to VOB. It will help you in changing vob to .mpg and you will be able to play them in windows media player without any issue. For the conversion you just have to select the output container:Automode and make sure Directshow Decode is checked. mts or m2ts file will get converted to VOB automatically after that.

I tried installing Super successfully but didnt get success in converting MTS files to VOB. Can you please share the screen shot for the same?

Here are the steps I used successfully. Please note that 16:9 wide-screen format is reduced to 4:3 during this process.

Open Super software.

1. Select TOP BUTTON Output Container/Output Process. Select Automode VCD, SVCD, DVD from the dropdown list (right above the DAT to MPG option-2nd section down). MAKE SURE the 'DirectShow Decode' option is unchecked.

2. Preset profile to Auto-Encode into DVD. Select the DVD button ans NTSC (for US output).

3. Drag the m2ts file to the box below. Click the 'Encode Active Files' button. There will be a pop-up asking you to 'Select a method for VOB file naming. Select the 'Use original filename with a VOB extension' option.

When file conversion is complete, the file will save in the same folder as a VOB file. Right-click the file, select Properties and change the 'Type of File' to MPG. Click OK. The video will now play in Windows Media Player 11 and below. The file size will be reduced substantially. EX: Original m2ts file: 554 MB. Converted MPG file: 181 MB.

You can serched convert mts to windows media player on google to find a solution to play mts on wmp, or you can use Final Mate to decode mts, m2ts from camcorders to wmv for playing with media player.