Go Back   TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Media Player
Become a Member!
Forgot your username/password?
Tags Active Topics RSS Search Mark Forums Read

Sponsored Links

Cannot delete songs from Windows Media Player Library

Media Player

Old 23-10-2009

Cannot delete songs from Windows Media Player Library

I am using Windows 7. I have Windows Media Player 12 on it. It is the default media player on my system. Now the songs are loaded from My Documents > My Music folder. There were some sample audio files. I had deleted them from My Computer. The files are in recycle bin. But still in Windows Media Player library those files are available. When I click on them I am getting a error that the file is deleted or moved. How to get rid of this completely.

Old 30-10-2009

You can simply try to remove it from the play list. Just right click on that or choose the files and press delete. It will be removed. If you are getting error on that then it simply means there is some bug in Windows Media Player 12. This is causing the error in Windows. Most of the time once the files are removed on restart Windows Media Player checks for files and wipe them out automatically.
Old 31-10-2009

I am also trying to do the same. Th files are loaded back Windows Media Player library and pops out error while playing the same. It is a bit complicated to get rid of the same completely. I think this folders are configured by default in Windows Media Player. Is there a way to change the completely. I just do not want to mess anything.
Old 26-12-2009

I have the exact same problem on Windows 7 64-bit. I deleted the sample movie files right after I installed windows 7. I dont know if I had even opened WMP for the first time yet. Anyway, the 3 sample songs are there and I cant get rid of them, or get a new list up. I need to play all my music through playlists because the "Artist, Album, Genre" only shows the 3 samples.
Old 07-01-2010

re: Cannot delete songs from Windows Media Player Library

had the same problem.. was trying to erase Alicia's attic and Papa Roach. and saw this fix for vista users that apparently worked for me..

this worked for me...
1.) reboot your computer (otherwise ur system will keep bugging you ur WMP is open)
2.) click windows logo (start) and look for "Run".. open it
3.) type in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player a folder opens up.
4.) delete everything there.. WMP will wipe its library off (samples included.. in my case Alicia's Attic and Paparoach) but not the files and it will rebuild its database again by reading files in your hardisk

Last edited by Soul Shutter : 07-01-2010 at 06:34 PM.
Old 18-04-2011

re: Cannot delete songs from Windows Media Player Library

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shutter View Post
2.) click windows logo (start) and look for "Run".. open it
3.) type in %LOCALAPPDATA%\Microsoft\Media Player a folder opens up.
4.) delete everything there.. WMP will wipe its library off
WooooW thank you so much Soul Shutter.
i had this exact problem with my Windows Media Player 12 running on Windows 7 Ultimate x86.
by searching the Google i found this Topic.
i wanna say your solution for this problem is OK.
i removed that sticky file in library while there is not on Hard anymore and didn't delete from Library.
your suggestion worked.
Thank you so much.

TechArena Community > Technical Support > Computer Help > Media Player
Tags: , , ,